What is residual Coulomb interaction and why does it exist?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about residual Coulomb interaction and its consequences in atomic and quantum courses. The person is unsure about its meaning and suggests it may be due to the fluctuations of charge around the nucleus. However, without the context, it is difficult to provide a clear explanation.
Sonko
Towards the end of my atomic and quantum course my lecturer makes a note of residual Coulomb interaction and does a few graphs to show the concequences of it are (such as some states not being allowed do to symmetry) and that they favour larger values of angular momentum, but doesn't really explain very well what it acually is and where it comes from. I was wondering if somebody could acually explain to me then what residual Coulomb interaction is and why it exists?
my first thoughts are that it may be due to the fluctuations of charge around the nucleus of an atom as the Hartree-Fock approximation ignores this and so that theory doesn't match what we see but that's the limit to my understanding.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your teacher means either, since "residual coulomb interaction" could mean any neglected part of a Coulomb interaction in any context.

Without knowing the context, I can't say. If he's talking about Hartree-Fock, he could mean the neglected dynamical effects you mention, but that's usually termed the "correlation energy". If he's talking about many-body perturbation theory, then it's something else. Or he could be talking about the Breit interaction, which is the relativistic effect caused by the coulomb potential acting at a finite speed.

1. What is the "Residual Coulomb interaction"?

The Residual Coulomb interaction is a term used in physics to describe the long-range electrostatic force that exists between charged particles. It is also known as the Coulomb potential or the Coulomb force, and it is one of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does the Residual Coulomb interaction affect atomic structure?

The Residual Coulomb interaction plays a significant role in determining the energy levels and stability of atoms. It is responsible for the attraction between the negatively charged electrons and the positively charged nucleus, which keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the Residual Coulomb interaction?

The mathematical expression for the Residual Coulomb interaction is given by the Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them squared.

4. How does the Residual Coulomb interaction differ from the Strong Nuclear Force?

The Residual Coulomb interaction and the Strong Nuclear Force are both fundamental forces, but they act on different length scales. The Residual Coulomb interaction is a long-range force, while the Strong Nuclear Force only acts over very short distances within the atomic nucleus.

5. Can the Residual Coulomb interaction be shielded or canceled out?

The Residual Coulomb interaction can be partially shielded by other charged particles or by the presence of a dielectric material. However, it cannot be completely canceled out as it is a fundamental force of nature that exists between all charged particles.