Need help with organic chem class (ChemDraw etc.)

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of organic chemistry lab and the desire for faster ways to draw organic mechanisms. The speaker suggests learning hotkeys for ChemDraw to speed up drawing and mentions the possibility of finding pre-made mechanism templates online.
Horseb0x
I started doing organic chemistry lab a few weeks ago and the instructor is an evil bastard when it comes to marking lab reports. We've 2 reports to do per week and I spend at least 6 hours on each report but only manage to get 60%. I can't be wasting all this time on a single class. Are there any tricks for speeding up drawing organic mechanisms and stuff like that? For example are there any websites I can download pre made mechanism templates for chemdraw?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used ChemDraw during my o-chem lab before and if you take the time to learn the hotkeys for different drawing things it speeds it up but there is not a premade mechanism or template for this to my knowledge.

1. What is ChemDraw and why is it important for organic chemistry?

ChemDraw is a computer program used for creating and editing chemical structures and reactions. It is important in organic chemistry because it allows for the accurate and efficient representation of complex molecules and reactions, helping students to better understand and visualize the concepts being taught.

2. How can ChemDraw help me with my organic chemistry class?

ChemDraw can help you by allowing you to create and manipulate chemical structures and reactions, making it easier to study and understand complex concepts. It also has features like prediction tools and database searching that can aid in problem-solving and research.

3. Is ChemDraw difficult to learn and use?

ChemDraw has a user-friendly interface and many helpful tutorials and resources available, making it relatively easy to learn and use. With practice, you can become proficient in using ChemDraw to enhance your understanding of organic chemistry.

4. Can ChemDraw be used for other types of chemistry besides organic chemistry?

While ChemDraw is primarily used for organic chemistry, it can also be used for other types of chemistry such as inorganic and biochemistry. It has features that allow for the representation of all types of chemical structures and reactions.

5. Are there any alternatives to ChemDraw for organic chemistry students?

Yes, there are other software programs available for creating and editing chemical structures, such as MarvinSketch and ChemDoodle. However, ChemDraw is one of the most widely used and trusted programs specifically designed for organic chemistry students.