Lowest Paid Professions - Scientists

• Thread starter jobyts
  • Start date
In summary: I have a GED, scored in top 1% in every section, though that doesn't say anything. The customer service thing sounds easy though....
jobyts
Which profession has the least salary compared to the contributions they do to humanity?

Scientist profession come to mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
The homeless, perhaps. They contribute friendship, and earn a couple of dollars a day.

Danger said:
The homeless, perhaps. They contribute friendship, and earn a couple of dollars a day.

lolwat

Mother Teresa didn't make much.

I've never heard of a degree in "child and family studies."

jtbell said:

I think it used to be called Home Economics.

jtbell said:
I believe it falls in the social work category.

http://www.wested.org/cs/we/view/pg/3

Last edited by a moderator:
LPN= low paid nurse. But I'm not sure there are LPN's anymore.

I am in top 5! :biggrin:

However, it is unfair to compare different professions. With a low paying job one can have less stressful life .. etc. If someone is paid more, there is a reason for that.

lisab said:
Mother Teresa didn't make much.

I thought of the social worker profession. But isn't their contribution limited to their life span? A scientist's contribution to humanity lives much after them.

jobyts said:
But isn't their contribution limited to their life span?

No..

jobyts said:
I thought of the social worker profession. But isn't their contribution limited to their life span? A scientist's contribution to humanity lives much after them.
And social workers may change the life of people that may become scientist instead of drug addicts or criminals. You really can't tell.

Upisoft said:
Doh, It looks like people think that the children are irrelevant.

Children and their education are irrelevant only in the US.
Here's the breakdown on the 2008 United States federal budget.

Health & education is 4%.
Transportation is 3%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/102817/How-Your-Tax-Dollars-Are-Spent

jobyts said:
Which profession has the least salary compared to the contributions they do to humanity?
CEO of Apple Computer.

jobyts said:
Children and their education are irrelevant only in the US.
Here's the breakdown on the 2008 United States federal budget.

Health & education is 4%.
Transportation is 3%.

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/102817/How-Your-Tax-Dollars-Are-Spent
Don't be so sure, here is not much better.

Jimmy Snyder said:
CEO of Apple Computer.

Probably not after the new dividend tax bill. So far the dividend tax is only 15%. Once the bill comes, it is going to be ~39%. Dividend investing would get less attractive then. Steve Jobs makes most of his money from his disney dividends.

G037H3 said:
and all of those are 3x the annual pay I can expect from a job, in the chance that I find one

thanks for depressing me -_-
If you didn't finish high school, you can get a high school equivalency - GED. That will get you into a community college or tech school. With a GED you can get many jobs, the highest paying with flexible hours would be working as a customer service rep, there is tons of churn in these jobs so they are always hiring, and if you go to work for a large company you can expect to get $14-$16 an hour and medical insurance and other benefits.

Heck, my youngest daughter is going to school full time, works for the college as an English tutor and works at a gas station, and believe it or not, the gas station has tuition reimbursement, it's all college students working there. Go figure. Don't tell me you can't qualify to answer a phone or stand behind a cash register.

Evo said:
If you didn't finish high school, you can get a high school equivalency - GED. That will get you into a community college or tech school. With a GED you can get many jobs, the highest paying with flexible hours would be working as a customer service rep, there is tons of churn in these jobs so they are always hiring, and if you go to work for a large company you can expect to get $14-$16 an hour and medical insurance and other benefits.

Heck, my youngest daughter is going to school full time, works for the college as an English tutor and works at a gas station, and believe it or not, the gas station has tuition reimbursement, it's all college students working there. Go figure. Don't tell me you can't qualify to answer a phone or stand behind a cash register.

I have a GED, scored in top 1% in every section, though that doesn't say anything. The customer service thing sounds easy though. o_O

jobyts said:

To answer the opposite question: dentists and orthodontists are paid WAY too much compared to their contributions!

DR13 said:
To answer the opposite question: dentists and orthodontists are paid WAY too much compared to their contributions!

You might change your mind next time you get a killer toothache!

On the flip side: http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-m...ollege-degrees-in-2010/2600/?tag=content;col1

I'm in the top 2 for the best paid list. Woohoo!

Personally, I feel that footballers get far too much for what they do (that's soccer for the yanks). Wayne Rooney just got signed on a £250,000 A WEEK deal. That's f****** horrendous considering what they do compared to someone who actually makes a difference in this world (pretty much anyone else). So in a comparison where you factor in people like that. I'd say anyone not in professional sports is getting less out than what they put in.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/10/23/2179356/wayne-rooneys-new-manchester-united-deal-worth-250000-a-week

jarednjames said:
On the flip side: http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-m...ollege-degrees-in-2010/2600/?tag=content;col1

I'm in the top 2 for the best paid list. Woohoo!

Personally, I feel that footballers get far too much for what they do (that's soccer for the yanks). Wayne Rooney just got signed on a £250,000 A WEEK deal. That's f****** horrendous considering what they do compared to someone who actually makes a difference in this world (pretty much anyone else). So in a comparison where you factor in people like that. I'd say anyone now in professional sports is getting less out than what they put in.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/10/23/2179356/wayne-rooneys-new-manchester-united-deal-worth-250000-a-week

1. Wow! I am surprised that physics is 8th. That should be good news to a lot of people on this site. Also math and applied math are up there which is nice to see.

2. Wow (again)! £250,000 per week is a lot. But that's capitalism for ya. If that is what someone is willing to pay or your services you'd be a fool not to take it. Plus, athletes in general are like the Piano Man (Billy Joel reference). People pay a lot for that sort of thing.

lisab said:
You might change your mind next time you get a killer toothache!

But how often do you get a major toothache? I've never had one. I go to the dentist twice a year for my check ups. Everytime they just brush my teeth for me and tell me to floss more. Then they go play golf. And they make well into the 6 figures. It's things like this that make me want to quit engineering...

DR13 said:
But how often do you get a major toothache? I've never had one. I go to the dentist twice a year for my check ups. Everytime they just brush my teeth for me and tell me to floss more. Then they go play golf. And they make well into the 6 figures. It's things like this that make me want to quit engineering...

Is that true?

My dentist works long hours plus any emergencies and I think they are worth the money. Of course, I'm constantly comparing these people to pro athletes and their pay.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see a doctor/dentist/any healthcare person on six figures than someone kicking a ball around a few hours a day.

DR13 said:

The dentist does fillings, bridges and crowns... what you are referring to is a dental hygienist. They do not make six figures, more like $65k.

jarednjames said:
Is that true?

My dentist works long hours plus any emergencies and I think they are worth the money.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The dentist does fillings, bridges and crowns... what you are referring to is a dental hygienist. They do not make six figures, more like $65k.

I personally know a few dentists and orthodontists who do little work for lots of money. But they own their own practices (this may be where we are differing).

Yahoo! had a report out a few years ago naming wedding photographers as the most overpaid professionals. Apparently some of them pull in $500,000 - $1 million a year putting in only a few weeks of work, doing something your little sister could probably do for $10 bucks after taking a community college photography course.

I guess people figure they're only going to get married once (even though they're wrong), so overpaying doesn't hurt as much.

Anyway, I'd say the most underpaid professionals are nonprofit executives. The Executive Director of the American Red Cross makes like $55,000 a year doing as much work as a typical Fortune 500 CEO, for an organization just as large.

poster to online forums websites has go to be on a list someplace for lowest paid professions

Dr Transport said:
poster to online forums websites has go to be on a list someplace for lowest paid professions

I know! I haven't been paid in...ever!

Greg, where's my paycheck?!

loseyourname said:
Anyway, I'd say the most underpaid professionals are nonprofit executives. The Executive Director of the American Red Cross makes like $55,000 a year doing as much work as a typical Fortune 500 CEO, for an organization just as large.

For highly paying jobs, competition is intense thus I wouldn't call them overpaid.

loseyourname said:
I guess people figure they're only going to get married once (even though they're wrong), so overpaying doesn't hurt as much.

No doubt! One my my recently married friends paid something like $5000 for her photos. WTF