Logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation is about creating a 3D plot with logarithmic axes using Mathematica. The person needs to plot a 3D function for specific ranges and is looking for a way to glue together cross sections for a continuous plot. After some trial and error, they realize that using Plot3D with Log[10, Rdb[10^nf, 10^pf]] gives them the desired plot. The thread is then closed.
Inge_k
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to get Mathematica make a 3D plot with logarithmic axes? I need a, say, 3D version of LogLogPlot.

I have a 3D function Rdb[nf, pf] which I want to plot for {nf, 10^10,10^18} and {pf, 10^10,10^18}. I can get cross sections of what I need when I do
LogLogPlot[Rdb[nf, pf], {nf, 10^10, 10^18}]
for random values of pf. Now I need to sort of glue these together for a continuous pf from 10^10 to 10^18 and thus get a 3D plot, if you see what I mean.

Any ideas how do to this?

Thanks in advance,
Inge

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, already found it!

Really, I thought about this for hours and searched the web and all, but just five minutes after I posted the above I realized the solution...

Which is

Plot3D[Log[10, Rdb[10^nf, 10^pf]] , {pf, 10, 18}, {nf, 10, 18}]

Of course... Gives me a lovely plot. Sorry for the spamming, thread can be closed again...

1. What is a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica?

A logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica is a graphical representation of a three-dimensional function using logarithmic scaling on one or more axes. This allows for a better visualization of functions with a wide range of values, as it compresses the data along the logarithmic axis.

2. How do I create a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica?

To create a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica, you can use the LogPlot3D function. This function takes in the function you want to plot and the range of values for each axis. You can also specify the logarithmic scaling by using the ScalingFunctions option, which takes in a list of functions for each axis.

3. Can I customize the appearance of a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica by using various options such as PlotStyle, AxesLabel, PlotRange, and more. You can also add other elements like a legend or grid lines using the appropriate options.

4. Can I plot multiple functions on a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica?

Yes, you can plot multiple functions on a logarithmic 3D plot in Mathematica by using the Show function. This allows you to overlay multiple plots on top of each other. You can also use the Manipulate function to create an interactive plot with multiple functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using logarithmic 3D plots in Mathematica?

While logarithmic 3D plots can be useful for visualizing certain types of functions, they may not always be the best choice. It is important to consider the data you are working with and whether logarithmic scaling is appropriate. Additionally, logarithmic scaling may not always accurately represent the data, so it's important to carefully interpret the plot and its axes.