Export a 3d surface movie with good quality

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to create a movie of a 3D surface that changes with time, but the output quality is low. They share their code and ask for suggestions on how to improve the quality. Another person suggests using a program called ffmpeg to convert png files into movies.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I have a 3D surface that changes with time. I am trying to make a movie. The following is what I do, but the output is extremely low quality. Does anyone know how I can get the same quality that Mathematica uses for its images?

Matlab:
mov[t_] :=
Show[ParametricPlot3D[{(2 + Cos[v]) Cos[U] Cos[t], (2 + Cos[v]) Sin[
      u] Cos[t], Sin[v] Cos[t]}, {u, 0, 2 Pi}, {v, 0, 2 Pi}, 
   Mesh -> 25, ColorFunction -> (ColorData["Rainbow"][#4] &)]]
frames = ParallelTable[mov[t], {t, 0, 2 \[Pi], (2 \[Pi])/10}]
Export["josh.mov", frames]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found a way to do it but external to Mathematica. It's called ffmpeg, it converts png files into movies. Very simple. Happy to help if anyone need help.

1. How can I export a 3d surface movie with good quality?

To export a 3d surface movie with good quality, you will need to use specialized software such as Blender, Maya, or Cinema 4D. These programs allow you to create and manipulate 3D objects and scenes, and have features specifically designed for exporting high-quality movies.

2. What file format should I use for exporting a 3d surface movie?

The most commonly used file format for exporting 3d surface movies is MP4. This format is compatible with most devices and can maintain high quality. Other options include AVI, MOV, and WMV.

3. What factors affect the quality of a 3d surface movie?

The quality of a 3d surface movie is affected by various factors such as resolution, frame rate, lighting, textures, and rendering settings. It is important to adjust these settings carefully to achieve the desired quality.

4. How can I improve the rendering speed of my 3d surface movie?

To improve rendering speed, you can try reducing the resolution of your movie or using lower quality textures. You can also adjust the number of frames per second in your animation, as a higher frame rate will result in longer rendering times.

5. Can I add special effects to my 3d surface movie during export?

Yes, most 3d animation software allow you to add special effects during the export process. These effects can include motion blur, depth of field, and color grading. Adding these effects can enhance the overall quality of your movie.