Labeling Plots in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition

In summary, the individual is using an older version of Mathematica (10.1.0.0, student edition) and is having trouble labeling plots within the Plot function using the command "PlotLegend ->". They have received a message stating that this is outdated and when they suppress it, the legend does not work with the plots. They are seeking help with this issue and also wondering how to upload images directly to a post. The expert suggests that the issue may be a simple typo, as the correct command is "PlotLegends" instead of "PlotLegend" and this feature was introduced in version 9.0. The individual thanks the expert for their help and realizes that they may have missed this when using older versions of Mathematic
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am using an older version of Mathematica: 10.1.0.0, the student edition. I am trying to label plots within the Plot function using the command "PlotLegend ->" but when running, first I get a message that this is outdated, and when I suppress, I get a legend that does not work with the plots.

Can anyone help me here?

Also, how to upload an image directly to this post rather than force you to click the file? Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.

Attachments

• plot.pdf
    56 KB · Views: 299
Physics news on Phys.org
This may be a simple typo. It is "PlotLegends" not "PlotLegend". I think this was a feature introduced in version 9.0, so it should work, but I can't test it (I am on version 11.0)

Likes member 428835
Dale said:
This may be a simple typo. It is "PlotLegends" not "PlotLegend". I think this was a feature introduced in version 9.0, so it should work, but I can't test it (I am on version 11.0)
Thanks! I was using older versions before, and must have missed this.:headbang:

1. How do I label my plots in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition?

To label your plots in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition, you can use the built-in function PlotLabel. This function takes in a string as an argument, which will be displayed as the label for your plot. You can also use the PlotLegends function to add a legend to your plot.

2. Can I customize the appearance of my plot labels in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your plot labels in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition. You can use the Style function to change the font, size, and color of your label. You can also use the Text function to add additional text or symbols to your label.

3. How do I add multiple labels to a single plot in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition?

To add multiple labels to a single plot in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition, you can use the Epilog option. This option allows you to add additional graphics or text to your plot. You can use the Text function within the Epilog option to add multiple labels to your plot.

4. Can I add labels to specific data points on my plot in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition?

Yes, you can add labels to specific data points on your plot in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition. You can use the Epilog option and the Text function to add labels to specific points on your plot. You can also use the Callout function to add labels that automatically point to the corresponding data point.

5. How can I change the position of my plot labels in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition?

You can change the position of your plot labels in Mathematica 10.1.0.0 Student Edition by using the PlotLabels option. This option allows you to specify the position of your label relative to the plot. You can also use the Text function within the Epilog option to manually adjust the position of your labels.