Right handed or left handed,intrinsic?

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, if you have a left-handed electron, you can change the reference frame so it moves backwards and then determine if it is still left-handed.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
The helicity of a particle is right-handed if the direction of its spin is the same as the direction of its motion. It is left-handed if the directions of spin and motion are opposite.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(physics)"

As you can see this definition is depended on the motion of a particle which,of course,is not intrinsic so how can we call helicity,intrinsic?In fact what is the benefit of defining such a thing at all because every particle can move in any direction.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Although helicity can be defined for any particle it is invariant only for particles with mass zero whose speed is always c in any reference frame.

But helicity depends only on the direction of motion,not speed.

Yes, I mean the following: In case of a massive particle you can change helicity by changing to a reference system which moves with a higher speed V than the particle in the original system v_0. In the Galilean case this would mean that v in the new system is v_0 -V. If V is greater than v_0, this means that you have changed direction.
In Einsteinian relativity this becomes impossible for massless particles as velocity is no longer additive and especially because c is always c independent of the system of reference.

So you can change the helicity of a particle. So what? You can also change the velocity. the energy, the momentum, and many other properties. Why does this one bother you?

Shyan said:
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality_(physics)"
so how can we call helicity,intrinsic?
I can't. Who is 'we'?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I am reading that correctly: Chirality is intrinsic but helicity is not. Chirality is "handedness" but helicity is not...

Handedness,by the definition I found in wikipedia,can't be intrinsic.Also particles can be found to be right handed or left handed.
If above lines are correct,its not reasonable to define handedness.But it is defined.
So I think there should be a problem with the first two lines.

In chemistry, we treat chirality of molecules as intrinsic, but that is not strictly true since there are reactions that can change chirality. So for most things, you are correct that chirality and helicity are not invariant. DrDu has explained to you one example where helicity *is* intrinsic, namely photons:

DrDu said:
Yes, I mean the following: In case of a massive particle you can change helicity by changing to a reference system which moves with a higher speed V than the particle in the original system v_0. In the Galilean case this would mean that v in the new system is v_0 -V. If V is greater than v_0, this means that you have changed direction.
In Einsteinian relativity this becomes impossible for massless particles as velocity is no longer additive and especially because c is always c independent of the system of reference.

Doesn't that answer your question?

Why didn't post #7 end this thread?

So OK, if chirality is not helicity, then how do we measure it?

Suppose I have a left-handed electron, then I change the reference frame so it moves backwards. How can I determine if it is still left-handed?

1. What does it mean to be right handed or left handed?

Being right handed or left handed refers to which hand a person primarily uses for daily activities such as writing, eating, and throwing. A right handed person will typically use their right hand for these tasks, while a left handed person will use their left hand.

2. Is being right handed or left handed determined by genetics?

Research suggests that being right handed or left handed is influenced by both genetics and environmental factors. While studies have found that handedness may run in families, there is no single gene that determines whether a person will be right handed or left handed.

3. Can a person be ambidextrous?

Yes, it is possible for a person to be ambidextrous, meaning they can use both hands with equal skill. However, true ambidexterity is rare and most people have a dominant hand that they prefer to use for tasks.

4. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to being right handed or left handed?

There is no clear consensus on whether being right handed or left handed provides any advantages or disadvantages. Some studies have suggested that left handed individuals may have a higher risk of certain health conditions, while others have found that they may excel in certain creative or athletic pursuits.

5. Can a person change their handedness?

While it is possible for a person to learn to use their non-dominant hand for certain tasks, it is not possible to completely change one's handedness. This is because handedness is deeply ingrained in the brain and cannot be altered. However, with practice, a person may become more ambidextrous.