Solve a radial acceleration problem?

In summary, the problem is to determine the smallest radius bump that a car traveling at a given speed can traverse without losing contact with the road. The only known value is the speed of the car and the task is to solve for the radius. This can be done by setting the centripetal force equal to the weight of the car and then solving for the radius. A perfectly flat road would have an infinite radius, while a bump with a smaller radius would require a greater centripetal force to keep the car in contact.
Alem2000
I wanted to konw what is the least amount of knowns you need to solve a radial acceleration problem? My friend told me he was given a problem where a care was traveling over a bump and the only known he had was the speed of the care, no radious, no nothing. And the question was to solve for radius...that seems hard is it possilbe to get a numerical value?

Physics news on Phys.org
One version of such a question goes like this: Given a speed v, what is the smallest radius bump (that is, the sharpest bump) that the car could traverse without losing contact with the road?

Give it a try.

okay, given a speed[tex]v[/tex] what is the [tex]r_m[/tex] where the sub m is min
hmm well [tex]F=m(v^2/r_m)[/tex]... i don't know! I don't understandt how can you solve with one given? you have the radial acceleration which would be pointing inward, and you have your speed[tex]v[/tex] pointing tangent to the path. Could you relate the sum of forces in the y direction and the x direction to cancel out terms? :frown:

Doc Al,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't it be the largest radius bump? If it is the smallest radius bump, I could say the radius is zero and there would be no bump? Or am I lost?

Moooooo

I was going to say [tex]v^2/r=4\pi r/t^2[/tex] but i don't have time either do i?

Alem2000 said:
okay, given a speed[tex]v[/tex] what is the [tex]r_m[/tex] where the sub m is min
hmm well [tex]F=m(v^2/r_m)[/tex]... i don't know!
So far, so good. Now what force is providing the "centripetal" force? (What forces act on the car?)

Moose352 said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't it be the largest radius bump? If it is the smallest radius bump, I could say the radius is zero and there would be no bump? Or am I lost?
Well, I know what you mean... if the radius were 1 cm, it would just be like rolling over a pebble. :smile:

But that's not the way to think of this. What's the radius of curvature of a flat road? Not zero! Think of a spherical balloon being inflated. As it inflates, r increases but the surface becomes flatter. A perfectly flat road would have infinite radius.

what force? the normal force? Yeah i guess, with friction would keep it in a curcular path... :shy:

Friction, eh? :rolleyes:

The forces acting vertically are the weight (down) and the normal force (up). At the limit before the car loses contact, the normal force goes to zero. So the only force acting on the car, and keeping it in contact with the bump, is its weight.

Related to Solve a radial acceleration problem?

1. What is radial acceleration and how is it different from linear acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular or curved path. It is different from linear acceleration, which is the acceleration of an object moving in a straight line.

2. How do I calculate radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration can be calculated using the formula: a = v2/r, where a is the radial acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some real-life examples of radial acceleration?

Some examples of radial acceleration include a car turning around a curved road, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a rollercoaster moving along a circular track.

4. How does radial acceleration affect an object's velocity?

Radial acceleration can change the direction of an object's velocity, causing it to move in a circular or curved path. It can also change the magnitude of an object's velocity, either increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the acceleration.

5. How can I use radial acceleration to solve problems in physics?

Radial acceleration is an important concept in physics and can be used to solve various problems involving circular motion and acceleration. By understanding how to calculate and manipulate radial acceleration, you can analyze and predict the motion of objects moving in circular paths.