Mechanics: Finding forces given loading conditions

In summary, when determining the forces acting on members A, B, and C, it is important to consider all angled forces by using trigonometric functions to find their components. It is also necessary to use the correct distance from the pin to the point where the force is applied when calculating moments. Additionally, it is important to check for consistency in units throughout the solution.
mbd23

Homework Statement

Determine the forces acting on members A, B, & C

The coordinates for pins 1 and 4 are:
1: (-32",24")
4: (-18",28")
There is a 1000lb force down on the bottom of the bucket as shown in the diagram. There are also angles of 40°, 18°, and 78° as shown in the diagram attached.

Homework Equations

I know the forces and moments need to be summed to determine the forces acting on the three members (A, B, and C) but I can't figure out how to do it right.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt as solving this problem is attached as a pdf file.

Attachments

• Problem 1.jpg
    Problem 1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 411
  • User Attempt.pdf
    607.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please take a look and let me know if you see any errors or have any suggestions.

I have reviewed your solution and have a few suggestions for improvement. Firstly, when summing the forces in the x and y directions, it is important to include the components of the angled forces. In your solution, you only included the vertical and horizontal components of the angled force, but you also need to consider the diagonal components. This can be done by using trigonometric functions to find the x and y components of the angled forces.

Secondly, when calculating the moments, it is important to use the correct distance from the pin to the point where the force is applied. In your solution, you used the distance between pins 1 and 4, but the force is actually applied at the bottom of the bucket, which is a different distance from the pins. This can be found using the Pythagorean theorem.

Lastly, I would suggest checking your units throughout the solution to ensure they are consistent. For example, in your calculation for the moment at point C, you used feet for the distance and pounds for the force, which resulted in a unit of foot-pounds instead of pound-feet.

I hope these suggestions help you to improve your solution. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

FAQ: Mechanics: Finding forces given loading conditions

1. What is the definition of "forces" in mechanics?

In mechanics, forces are defined as any external influence that can cause an object to accelerate or deform.

2. How do you find forces given loading conditions?

To find forces given loading conditions, you can use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. You will also need to consider the direction and magnitude of the loading conditions to determine the specific forces acting on the object.

3. What are some common types of loading conditions in mechanics?

Some common types of loading conditions in mechanics include point loads, distributed loads, and concentrated moments. Point loads are forces applied at a single point, while distributed loads are forces applied over an area. Concentrated moments are forces that cause an object to rotate.

4. Can you find forces given only the loading conditions?

No, in order to find forces, you will also need to know the properties of the object being loaded, such as its mass, shape, and material. These properties will affect how the object responds to the loading conditions and determine the forces acting on it.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding forces given loading conditions?

Finding forces given loading conditions is crucial in many engineering fields, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and analyze structures, machines, and vehicles to ensure they can withstand the expected forces and loading conditions they will encounter in real-world situations.