Mechanics of Materials -- inclined ladder

In summary, the inclined ladder AB supports a house painter (85 kg) at C and the self weight (q = 40 N/m) of the ladder itself. Each ladder rail (tr = 4 mm) is supported by a shoe (ts = 5 mm) which is attached to the ladder rail by a bolt of diameter dp =8 mm. The shear force in the bolt is not in the vertical direction. It is parallel to the ladder. There are two rails containing two bolts, so this gives you one factor of two.
gv3

Homework Statement

[/B]
The inclined ladder AB supports a house painter (85 kg) at C and the self weight (q = 40 N/m) of the ladder itself. Each ladder rail (tr = 4 mm) is supported by a shoe (ts = 5 mm) which is attached to the ladder rail by a bolt of diameter dp =8 mm.

1) Find support reactions at A and B.
2) Find the reultant force in the shoe bolt at A.
3) Find maximum average shear and bearing stresses in the shoe bolt at A.

61564a6e2e8fa79626ba51e3db8e5e97.png

(some units in the photo are incorrect. the written question has the correct values)

Homework Equations

T(tau)= V/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to do 1 and 2.
1) Bx = 252.83N
Ax = 252.3N
Ay = 1150.1N
2) Resultant force at A = 1178N

Part 3 is where i am having trouble.
3) i used V = 1150.1N. The radius of the bolt is r = .004m. A = π(.004)2 = 5.026e-5m2
Now when i do V/A i get 22.88MPa but the correct answer is 5.86 MPa.
I suppose my error is in using 1150.1N as the shear force but why wouldn't it be 1150.1N if that's the only force acting in the Y direction at A?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the force is in the y direction? Did you notice that your answer is off by a factor of 4? Why do you think that is? Did you draw a free body diagram of the bolt?

Chestermiller said:
Why do you think the force is in the y direction? Did you notice that your answer is off by a factor of 4? Why do you think that is? Did you draw a free body diagram of the bolt?
I thought shear forced always occurred in the Y direction. When drawing my fbd i have V pointing in the negative Y direction and Ay pointing positively in the y direction. maybe i missed some forces from the ladder shoe? I am not sure where the factor of 4 comes from. is it from the ladder rail?

I did a new fbd to find the two forces in the ladder shoe then recalculated. i still get the wrong answer.

gv3 said:
I thought shear forced always occurred in the Y direction. When drawing my fbd i have V pointing in the negative Y direction and Ay pointing positively in the y direction. maybe i missed some forces from the ladder shoe? I am not sure where the factor of 4 comes from. is it from the ladder rail?

I did a new fbd to find the two forces in the ladder shoe then recalculated. i still get the wrong answer.
The shear force in the bolt is not in the vertical direction. It is parallel to the ladder. There are two rails containing two bolts, so this gives you one factor of two. Do you know where the other factor of two comes from? Hint: you are going to need to make imaginary cuts through the bolt to get the shear force.

Chestermiller said:
The shear force in the bolt is not in the vertical direction. It is parallel to the ladder. There are two rails containing two bolts, so this gives you one factor of two. Do you know where the other factor of two comes from? Hint: you are going to need to make imaginary cuts through the bolt to get the shear force.
Does the other factor of two come from the ladder shoe? since there's two points of contact from the ladder shoe onto the bolt? Since the shear force is parallel to the ladder is it just the resultant force i found in part 2?

Ok so going with what i said above i got the correct answer. I did a cut between the rail and after the first contact from the shoe. which would give me the maximum V. I am still a little confused about the shear force being on an angle though. in class we always drew the V vertically. Is this because we were working with beams?

gv3 said:
Does the other factor of two come from the ladder shoe? since there's two points of contact from the ladder shoe onto the bolt?
Yes.
Since the shear force is parallel to the ladder is it just the resultant force i found in part 2?
Yes.
Ok so going with what i said above i got the correct answer. I did a cut between the rail and after the first contact from the shoe. which would give me the maximum V. I am still a little confused about the shear force being on an angle though. in class we always drew the V vertically. Is this because we were working with beams?
. The forces exerted by the ladder on the bolt must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the forces the bolt exerts on the ladder. If you draw the free body diagram on the bolt carefully, you will see what's involved.

Chestermiller said:
. The forces exerted by the ladder on the bolt must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the forces the bolt exerts on the ladder. If you draw the free body diagram on the bolt carefully, you will see what's involved.
So when you draw the fbd, the force from the rail is on an angle and the two forces from the shoe are vertical. Doing it this way you wouldn't get a force of 294.5N from the shoes. but a force of 294.5N is what gives the right answer.

gv3 said:
So when you draw the fbd, the force from the rail is on an angle and the two forces from the shoe are vertical. Doing it this way you wouldn't get a force of 294.5N from the shoes. but a force of 294.5N is what gives the right answer.
The forces from the shoe are not vertical.

Chestermiller said:
The forces from the shoe are not vertical.
Is that because the shoe is keeping the ladder up and also preventing it from sliding outwards?

gv3 said:
Is that because the shoe is keeping the ladder up and also preventing it from sliding outwards?
Sure. If you do a force balance on the bolt, you find that the force that the shoe exerts on the bolt has to be equal and opposite to the force the ladder exerts on the bolt. That's why I've been encouraging you to draw a free body diagram of the bolt and to do a force balance.

1. What is the purpose of using an inclined ladder in mechanics of materials?

The inclined ladder is used as a practical application to understand the concepts of forces, moments, and equilibrium in mechanics of materials. It also helps in analyzing the stability and strength of structures.

2. How is the weight of a person on an inclined ladder calculated?

The weight of a person on an inclined ladder is calculated using the formula W = mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the person, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the significance of the angle of inclination in an inclined ladder?

The angle of inclination plays a crucial role in determining the forces acting on the ladder and the stability of the ladder. It also affects the weight distribution and the amount of force required to maintain equilibrium.

4. How do you calculate the normal and shear forces on an inclined ladder?

The normal and shear forces on an inclined ladder can be calculated using trigonometric functions and the principles of equilibrium. The normal force is equal to the weight of the person, while the shear force is calculated by resolving the weight vector along and perpendicular to the ladder.

5. What are the safety considerations for using an inclined ladder?

When using an inclined ladder, it is essential to consider the maximum weight it can support, the angle of inclination, and the stability of the ground on which it is placed. Proper precautions should be taken to prevent any accidents, and the ladder should be regularly inspected for any signs of wear and tear.