Fixing Search Problem with "Big Rip

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the user tried to search for a phrase, "big rip", on the forum but got zero results due to the search engine considering the words too short/common. The suggestion to use "Search PF via Google" was given as a solution, but it was noted that this still requires a full-text search which may be time-consuming. It was also mentioned that Google's search algorithms and index are more advanced than vBulletin's.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just tried a search on "big rip", which I KNOW there have been posts on but the search engine gives me zero results, complaining that both words are too short/common. But I put it in quotes so it is a PHRASE that should not be too short. Can this be fixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, thanks.

phinds said:
But I put it in quotes so it is a PHRASE that should not be too short.
The words don't get added to the search index, there is no way they could be found as a phrase without a (really time-consuming) full-text search.

mfb said:
The words don't get added to the search index, there is no way they could be found as a phrase without a (really time-consuming) full-text search.

What you say makes sense, but "Search PF via Google" must then do a full text search and it gave results almost immediately

Google has a lot more server "horsepower" than we do. :wink: And their search algorithms are surely more sophisticated than vBulletin's.

Google has a better search index (and more computing power, of course) than vBulletin (and the forum server) - and they do use an index.

1. How does the "Big Rip" theory aim to fix search problems?

The "Big Rip" theory suggests that the universe will eventually expand at an accelerated rate, causing all matter to be torn apart. This would result in a highly disordered state, making it easier for search algorithms to find relevant information.

2. Is the "Big Rip" theory scientifically supported?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the "Big Rip" theory. It is a hypothetical scenario based on certain assumptions about the behavior of dark energy in the universe.

3. Can the "Big Rip" theory be applied to all search problems?

No, the "Big Rip" theory is not a practical solution for all search problems. It is only relevant in cases where the amount of information being searched is extremely large and complex.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using the "Big Rip" theory for fixing search problems?

One potential drawback is that the "Big Rip" theory is based on hypothetical scenarios and has not been proven through scientific experimentation. Additionally, it may not be feasible to implement this theory in practical search algorithms.

5. Are there other proposed solutions for fixing search problems?

Yes, there are various approaches and techniques being developed to improve search algorithms, such as machine learning, natural language processing, and semantic search. These solutions are based on scientific research and have shown promising results in improving search accuracy and efficiency.