Is it possible to get a downgraded version of gfortran?

• Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gfortran
In summary, it is possible to obtain a downgraded version of gfortran. This can be achieved by downloading an older version of the compiler from a trusted source and installing it on your system. However, it is important to note that using an outdated version may result in compatibility issues and may not have the latest features and bug fixes available in the current version.
CAF123
Gold Member
Is it still possible to somehow get a downgraded version of gfortran? Currently I have version 10.2.0 but this leads to some incompatibility in the compilation of some fortran code in a package I wish to install. As I am on a new machine, it is probably ok for me to uninstall gfortran without too much problems elsewhere but I couldn't see how I might then get a downgraded version of gfortran. I am looking for gfortran version 9.1.0 and I am on a MacOs Big Sur operating system.

I have tried brew install gfortran@9.1.0 and brew search gfortran but neither give useful results.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried the links at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#MacOS? Fink looks the most promising but the site is not responding at the moment, GitHub obviously works but may not have the version you want. Otherwise you may need to compile from source, or could look at installing a Linux virtual machine which will give you access to all the GCC releases.

Sometimes, this can become a rabbit hole where you start downgrading one app and then another until you get lost in the mire.

Is there no way to find why the code doesn't install or compile and fix it at that point? It would seem that someone has run into this before and possibly has a fix available online.

Likes pbuk

1. Can I get a downgraded version of gfortran for free?

Yes, gfortran is an open-source compiler and is available for free. You can find the downgraded versions on the official gfortran website or on other trusted software download sites.

2. Is it possible to have multiple versions of gfortran installed on my computer?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple versions of gfortran installed on your computer. However, you may need to use a different command or specify the version you want to use when compiling your code.

3. Why would I need a downgraded version of gfortran?

There are a few reasons why you may need a downgraded version of gfortran. Some older codes may not be compatible with the latest version, or you may need a specific feature that is only available in an older version.

4. How can I downgrade my gfortran compiler?

To downgrade your gfortran compiler, you will need to uninstall the current version and then install the older version that you want to use. Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the installer carefully.

5. Will using a downgraded version of gfortran affect the performance of my code?

It is possible that using a downgraded version of gfortran may affect the performance of your code. Newer versions often include bug fixes and optimizations that can improve the performance of your code. However, if your code is not compatible with the latest version, using a downgraded version may be necessary.