Questions about Thermodynamics?

• Thread starter John E
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student asking if they can make posts about a specific course in a forum, and being given instructions on where to post. The conversation also includes a playful exchange about favorite fish and an initiation ritual.
John E
Hello everyone, what a great forum!

Im a 24 years old student from Norway, one of the courses I currently take is "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran and Shapiro. Is this a place where I could make posts regarding this sort of material? :smile:

I apologize in advance for my spelling and grammar!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool, thanks! :cool:

Enigman said:
And just wondering what's your favourite fish?
I don't discriminate anyone, and that includes fish. It would be unfair to have a favourite one.

*Slaps John with a porcupine fish*
Sorry, initiation ritual- should have said goldfish or something smaller and less spiny. (Porcupine fish is a penalty for not specifying which fish you like the most. Just made that rule up. :devil:
And now you've been officially initiated into PF.

John E said:
Hello everyone, what a great forum!

Im a 24 years old student from Norway, one of the courses I currently take is "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran and Shapiro. Is this a place where I could make posts regarding this sort of material? :smile:

I apologize in advance for my spelling and grammar!

Posts on physics topics should be made on one of the physics subforums. Questions on thermodynamics is suitable for either General, or Classical Physics. However, if the question is related to school-work, homework, or is of a HW/Coursework-type problem, then it must be done in the HW/Coursework forum and in accordance to the rules of that forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Posts on physics topics should be made on one of the physics subforums. Questions on thermodynamics is suitable for either General, or Classical Physics. However, if the question is related to school-work, homework, or is of a HW/Coursework-type problem, then it must be done in the HW/Coursework forum and in accordance to the rules of that forum.

Zz.

There is no General, or Classical Physics -subforum in the "Homework & Coursework Questions"-forum :uhh:

John E said:
There is no General, or Classical Physics -subforum in the "Homework & Coursework Questions"-forum :uhh:

General and Classical physics are only in the main physics subforums. You will have to choose which of the Intro or Advanced physics section in the HW/Coursework forums that are appropriate. Generally, questions from 1st and 2nd year physics problems fall under the Intro Physics section.

Zz.

I did PM you the links, you know...

What is Thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It explains how energy is transferred from one form to another and how it affects the properties of matter.

What are the laws of Thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one body to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

What is an example of a thermodynamic system?

An example of a thermodynamic system is a refrigerator. The refrigerant inside the refrigerator absorbs heat from the food, causing it to cool down, and then expels the heat outside, keeping the inside of the refrigerator cold.

What is the practical application of Thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics has many practical applications, including the design and improvement of engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and chemical processes. It also helps in understanding weather patterns and climate change.