Video lectures or online course in thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a supplement to the textbook "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" and the suggestion of a similar online course MAE 91: Introduction to Thermodynamics with video lectures on YouTube. The textbook was praised for its treatment of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and another recommended book was mentioned, "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Smith and van Ness.
rudy
TL;DR Summary
To accompany "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran, Shapiro, et al.
Hello,

I am beginning a course in thermodynamics in which we will be using the textbook "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" (Moran, Shapiro Et al.).

Does anyone know of a video series which covers similar topics as in textbook? I have the textbook, I am just looking for a supplement as I have relied heavily on Khan Academy, Youtube, etc. in other courses to help me get by.

If it is helpful I can post the table of contents or find a link to them.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found a resource which appears to be very close to the text. UC Irvine has an online course MAE 91: Into to Thermodynamics with video lectures on YouTube.

If anyone has another resource they'd like to add that'd be great too.

Moran et al, in my judgment, is a wonderful textbook. I particularly like its treatment of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. I think you're really going to like the course. Another good book is Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics by Smith and van Ness.

Likes rudy

1. What is the benefit of taking a video lecture or online course in thermodynamics?

The main benefit of taking a video lecture or online course in thermodynamics is the flexibility it offers. Students can access the material at their own pace and convenience, allowing them to review difficult concepts as many times as needed. Additionally, online courses often include interactive activities and simulations that can enhance the learning experience.

2. Are video lectures or online courses in thermodynamics as effective as traditional classroom lectures?

Studies have shown that video lectures and online courses can be just as effective, if not more effective, than traditional classroom lectures. This is because these methods allow for more personalized learning and the ability to review material at any time. However, the effectiveness also depends on the quality of the course and the effort put in by the student.

3. Can I receive a certificate or credit for completing a video lecture or online course in thermodynamics?

Many online courses in thermodynamics offer certificates of completion, but it ultimately depends on the specific course and institution. Some courses may also offer college credit or be part of a degree program. It is important to research and confirm these details before enrolling in a course.

4. How can I ensure the quality and credibility of a video lecture or online course in thermodynamics?

When considering a video lecture or online course in thermodynamics, it is important to research the instructor's credentials and the institution offering the course. Look for reviews and ratings from previous students, and check if the course has any accreditation or partnerships with reputable organizations.

5. Is prior knowledge or experience in thermodynamics necessary to take a video lecture or online course?

While having some background knowledge in thermodynamics may be helpful, it is not always necessary to take a video lecture or online course. Many courses offer introductory material and provide a comprehensive overview of the subject. However, it is important to check the course requirements and make sure you have the necessary prerequisites before enrolling.