Proof of recurrence relation of partitions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of T_{n}, a function representing the number of different partitions of a set containing n elements. The conversation presents a proof by induction to show that T_{n+1} = 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} { n \choose k } T_k + {n \choose n}T_n. The conversation also discusses the concept of partitions and how they relate to the function T_{n}. The conversation raises the question of where the proof by induction may have gone wrong and seeks clarification on the steps taken.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Let T[itex]_{n}[/itex] denote the number of different partitions of {1,2,...,n}. Thus, T[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1 (the only partition being {1}) and T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 2 (the only partitions being {1,2} and {1},{2}). show that T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Let S be a given set. If, for some k [itex]\geq[/itex]0, S[itex]_{1}[/itex], S[itex]_{2}[/itex],...,S[itex]_{k}[/itex] are mutually exclusive nonempty subsets of S such that [itex]\bigcup[/itex][itex]^{i=1}_{k}[/itex] S[itex]_{i}[/itex] = S, then we call the set {S[itex]_{1}[/itex], S[itex]_{2}[/itex],...,S[itex]_{k}[/itex]} a partition of S.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I would prove this by induction. Since the base case is easy, I won't discuss it. The inductive step is where I am having problems. So I have been assuming that T[itex]_{n}[/itex]= 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n-1}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n-1}_{k}[/itex])T[itex]_{k}[/itex] as my inductive hypothesis. So now I have to show that this relationship holds for the T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] case. So I started with the left hand side of the equation (T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] =) however I couldn't figure out how to go from here since I didn't know how to break up T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex]. So I figured I would try working backwords and that was when things got really weird...
Starting from my final step:
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex]
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n-1}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n-1}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex] + ([itex]^{n}_{n}[/itex])T[itex]_{n}[/itex]
Evaulating the binary coefficient ([itex]^{n}_{n}[/itex]), we find that it is equal to 1. So we now have:
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n-1}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n-1}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex] + T[itex]_{n}[/itex]
However, by our induction hypothesis, we know that T[itex]_{n}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n-1}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n-1}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex]. Therefore, we can simplify this last express to be:
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = T[itex]_{n}[/itex] + T[itex]_{n}[/itex]
However, it is not correct to say that T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 2T[itex]_{n}[/itex] (just solve for T[itex]_{1}[/itex], T[itex]_{2}[/itex], T[itex]_{3}[/itex] and you will find that T[itex]_{1}[/itex] = 1, T[itex]_{2}[/itex] = 2, and T[itex]_{3}[/itex] = 5.
Where am I going wrong?

Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
simmonj7 said:
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex]
T[itex]_{n+1}[/itex] = 1 + [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n-1}_{k=1}[/itex] ([itex]^{n-1}_{k}[/itex]) T[itex]_{k}[/itex] + ([itex]^{n}_{n}[/itex])T[itex]_{n}[/itex]

It would be [itex] T_{n+1} = 1 + \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} { n \choose k } T_k + {n \choose n}T_n [/itex]

(It might be simpler to use a verbal argument than a purely algebraic approach and you don't need so many itex tags in your LaTex.)

1. What is a recurrence relation in the context of partitions?

A recurrence relation in the context of partitions is a mathematical formula that describes how the number of partitions of a given integer n can be calculated based on the number of partitions of smaller integers. In other words, it is a way to recursively calculate the number of partitions of n by using the number of partitions of smaller integers.

2. How is the recurrence relation of partitions derived?

The recurrence relation of partitions is derived using the concept of generating functions. By expressing the number of partitions of n as a polynomial in terms of the number of partitions of smaller integers, a recurrence relation can be obtained through algebraic manipulation.

3. What is the formula for the recurrence relation of partitions?

The formula for the recurrence relation of partitions is P(n) = P(n-1) + P(n-2) - P(n-5) - P(n-7) + P(n-12) + P(n-15) - ... , where P(n) represents the number of partitions of n and the numbers being subtracted are the generalized pentagonal numbers.

4. How is the proof of the recurrence relation of partitions verified?

The proof of the recurrence relation of partitions can be verified using mathematical induction. By showing that the relation holds for n=1 and assuming it holds for all integers up to n-1, it can be proven that it holds for n as well. Additionally, the formula can also be tested for various values of n to ensure it produces the correct number of partitions.

5. What is the significance of the recurrence relation of partitions?

The recurrence relation of partitions is significant because it allows for an efficient way to calculate the number of partitions of a given integer. By using the formula, we can avoid having to calculate all the partitions from scratch, which can be a time-consuming process. It also allows for further analysis and understanding of the patterns and properties of partitions.