Why Should You Think Twice Before Using a Turkey-Fryer?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I'll never be able to think of you the same way again you blood sausage eating monster! :rofl: Just kidding, I'd try anything once... Well, maybe not pig brains... :rofl:
turbo-1 said:
They THROW black puddings? My great-aunts would have pounded those cretins to a pulp!

Hey we have so many we don't know what else to do with them :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Kurdt said:
Heathens! :grumpy:

ship them here

turbo-1 said:
Blood sausage is impossible to find here, these days. It seems to have fallen out of favor even in the small local specialty markets. It was a staple in my childhood, but family-made, not store-bought. It was spiced and it was thickened with barley - a rich food that smelled heavenly in the frying pan.

Really? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the grocery stores here. You might want to try a slaugherhouse, the one by where I used to live had a huge freezer full of anything you could think off, I'm pretty sure they would have had them there.

scorpa said:
Really? I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the grocery stores here. You might want to try a slaugherhouse, the one by where I used to live had a huge freezer full of anything you could think off, I'm pretty sure they would have had them there.
We have a private meat-market with lots of local connections about 10 miles away - I'll ask my wife to check with them on her way home from work.

Kurdt said:
Holy cow! I'm glad we don't have an excess of lobsters, ocean scallops, or filet mignons that would allow a festival celebrating their waste. About the only food-wasting enterprises I have participated in have involved my cousin's son's fascination for hair-spray fueled potato bazookas, which are pretty good a propelling wormy apples, too.

Bumping this up for DL.

The turkey frying derrick videos are in the 3rd post.

The wife and I absolutely love this man!

"Too many onions!" :rofl:

Hilarious!

Dembadon said:
The wife and I absolutely love this man!

"Too many onions!" :rofl:

Hilarious!
Recently Alton was asked what his all time favorite episode was, and he said it was the Hagis episode.

<GASP> The neeleys just deep fried a turkey using a masterbuilt electric Turkey fryer, UL Listed, SAFE FOR EVO!

http://www.masterbuilt.com/newsreleases/Masterbuilt%20Electric%20Fryer.pdf

I want one!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
<GASP> The neeleys just deep fried a turkey using a masterbuilt electric Turkey fryer, UL Listed, SAFE FOR EVO!

I want one!

NOTHING is safe for Evo! Don't forget you can still manage to knock the whole thing over and spill boiling oil on yourself! :eek: (Okay, it might be slightly below boiling, due to the thermostat controls.) Even though it says safe to use indoors, I think you should definitely still stick to using it outdoors and under children's supervision. :biggrin:

Evo said:

I want one!
Brine your turkeys, and roast them breast-down in your oven - the best-tasting way to make them anyway. The worst thing that can happen is you burn yourself on the oven.

Hot oil+Evo is a recipe for death or a lifetime of skin grafts. Not good! The lack of an open flame doesn't make that deep-fryer "safe" nor does a UL listing. You still have hot oil, which can cause incredible burns.

A neighbor of mine years back put her kids through college by running a hot-dog stand by the roadside, about 175 miles south of Quebec City. She grew up in Canada and was fluent in French, so the Canadian tourists would make her eatery a "must-stop". They would fill up the gas tank at her general store across the road from the stand, and load up with French fries, dynamites, burgers, 'dogs, etc, before continuing their trek (usually to Old Orchard Beach). Alice's hands and arms were pocked and scarred from years of spattering lard from the Fryolaters. To make perfect fries, after she peeled and cut the potatoes, she stored them in chilled water. Fill the basket, shake out the water, and immerse in the hot lard. Spatters were inevitable!

I used to have a deep fryer, AND a pressure cooker!

Yes, that was in my younger, less clutzy days. :redface:

Evo said:
I used to have a deep fryer, AND a pressure cooker!

Yes, that was in my younger, less clutzy days. :redface:
I have a 500,000 btu/hr propane torch, a large chain saw, lots of power tools, and other dangerous stuff, but then, I'm a responsible adult with a healthy respect for my limitations. I still won't consider buying a turkey-fryer, though. My neighbor's adult sons damned near burned down his brand-new 40,000 ft2 garage/workshop/ with one of those. They had the hot oil bubbling away, and misjudged the volume of the turkey they were about to cook. When they immersed the turkey, oil overflowed the pot and ignited. One of them kicked over the stand to help get the burning oil away from the propane tank, but the burning oil headed down-slope to the brand-new building. The burning oil was so hot that it fused the dirt and gravel in the drive leading to one of the maintenance-bays. Luckily, they were able to scrape a depression in the drive and route the oil away from the building. No turkey-fryer for me, thank you.