Preparing for a Difficult Midterm: The 'Time Trial' Exam

In summary, the conversation revolves around an upcoming midterm for a controls course. The students are expected to memorize 514 pages of material without a formula sheet, including derivations and Matlab code. They are also concerned about the difficulty of the exam due to the amount of material and the fact that it will be a "time trial." The conversation ends with both students expressing concern and wishing each other good luck.
Cyrus
I have a mid term tomorrow for my controls course. We have 514 pages of material with no formula sheet. We have to memorize everything, including some derivations and Matlab code.

After this mid term were only doing 2 other chapters. This isn't a mid term, its a damn final exam!

At this point, he could give a simple answer and I might get it wrong just because there is so much crap to remember.

He told us his exam is going to be a 'time trial'...:rolleyes:

One chapter we didnt even have homework from yet, and another chapter the homework is due the same day as the exam.

This is crazy. I have a feeling the curve will be HUGE.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
This is crazy. I have a feeling the curve will be HUGE.

Let me know what it is when you find out!

Good luck too!

I can do all the material. I just can't remeber this MUCH material. Good god.

Quite appropriately, when I woke up my alarm clock was playing Glenn Frey - The Heat Is On 85'

The soundtrack to Beverly Hills Cop. :rofl:

Last edited:
I have an exam tomorrow morning and we are covering about 2 weeks of material. Sadly I don't expect to do well on the exam, as the homework has been tough for me, and so having such a small amount will probably hurt me. Luckily I am one of the best students in the class, so I should be near the top if it comes down to a curve. Still kind of weird.

Good luck to you! (and me)

1. What is a 'Time Trial' exam?

A 'Time Trial' exam is a type of test that is designed to challenge students with a strict time limit. It requires them to complete a certain number of questions or tasks within a specific time frame, usually without the use of any notes or resources.

2. How can I prepare for a 'Time Trial' exam?

To prepare for a 'Time Trial' exam, it is important to practice time management and develop effective study strategies. This includes reviewing and understanding the material beforehand, breaking down the content into manageable chunks, and practicing timed quizzes or exercises.

3. What are some strategies for managing time during a 'Time Trial' exam?

Some strategies for managing time during a 'Time Trial' exam include reading and understanding the instructions carefully, prioritizing questions based on difficulty and point value, and setting a pace for completing each question or task. It is also important to take breaks and stay focused throughout the exam.

4. How can I stay calm and focused during a 'Time Trial' exam?

To stay calm and focused during a 'Time Trial' exam, it is important to practice deep breathing and positive self-talk. It can also be helpful to have a plan for managing stress, such as taking a short break to stretch or refocus your mind, and reminding yourself of your preparation and capabilities.

5. What should I do if I run out of time during a 'Time Trial' exam?

If you run out of time during a 'Time Trial' exam, it is important to remain calm and use any remaining time to quickly review and double-check your answers. If you are unable to complete all of the questions, focus on answering the ones you feel most confident about. Remember to always follow the instructions and not rush through the exam, as this can lead to careless mistakes.