Preparing for My First Physics Exam: Tips and Advice from a UCD Student

In summary, the speaker has been accepted to UCD and is currently taking physics. They have been working hard, but have struggled with the challenging coursework. They have been seeking advice on how to prepare for the upcoming exam and have been doing problems from the book to improve their understanding. They also mention an analogy of exercising to explain the importance of practicing difficult problems. However, they are unsure of what types of exam questions to expect and have been seeking guidance from their professor and TA. They also bring up a specific problem that has been challenging for many students.
ruskointhehizzy
I got accepted to UCD this fall and am now taking physics. I have been working really hard, I read the book, did the work - which was very challenging and I didn't do very well on it. So I have been working even harder. It's okay to mess up on homework, but the work is surprisingly challenging. I don't know what else I can do to prepare for the exam. I have just been mastering the examples in the book, and the notes. I have also been doing the problems in the book - which are way easier then the problems assigned by the professor, I can do a lot more that way.

Any advice given will really help. What can and should I expect? We are using "University physics" the 14th edition and only up to chapter 5. So that includes vector math, kinematics/motion, and Newtons laws of motion - with some application. What kind of exam questions should I beware of? This is the first exam in physics I have taken, and it is vital that I get a good score - I have been working double time to achieve that but feel like I am missing some ingredient and need to do more.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ruskointhehizzy said:
I have also been doing the problems in the book - which are way easier then the problems assigned by the professor, I can do a lot more that way.
When I go to the gym, I noticed that I can do a lot more repetitions if I just skip the weights. I can also sometimes do heavier weights if I just change position so that a different muscle group than the one I intended to train takes over.

The same things apply here. If you just do easier exercises, you will not learn to do the harder ones that your professor is assigning. It is also pretty likely that the exercise level your professor assigns is what will be expected from you at the exam. Of course, to continue the gym analogy - if you really cannot do the heavier weights, start with the lighter ones and work your way up. But don’t forget to increase the weights along the way or your development will stagnate.

ruskointhehizzy said:
What kind of exam questions should I beware of?
Nobody here can answer that. It will depend on your professor and what he/she has put emphasis on in the course. What is important for the exam should be made clear from course management (professors, TAs, etc). The best you can do to gauge the level is to get your hands on previous exams in the same course. In particular if constructed by the same professor.

Likes donpacino, CalcNerd and Dr. Courtney
Orodruin said:
When I go to the gym, I noticed that I can do a lot more repetitions if I just skip the weights. I can also sometimes do heavier weights if I just change position so that a different muscle group than the one I intended to train takes over.

The same things apply here. If you just do easier exercises, you will not learn to do the harder ones that your professor is assigning. It is also pretty likely that the exercise level your professor assigns is what will be expected from you at the exam. Of course, to continue the gym analogy - if you really cannot do the heavier weights, start with the lighter ones and work your way up. But don’t forget to increase the weights along the way or your development will stagnate.Nobody here can answer that. It will depend on your professor and what he/she has put emphasis on in the course. What is important for the exam should be made clear from course management (professors, TAs, etc). The best you can do to gauge the level is to get your hands on previous exams in the same course. In particular if constructed by the same professor.

I like that analogy but the professor said the problems won't be as hard - they can't be because the exam is timed and we only get 45 minutes. So it has to be doable, and right now the homework he is assigning is taking everyone in class I talk to (about 15 good students) about 1hour or so a problem, sometimes longer. The TA I talked to today said himself they are pretty challenging.
Also, it's not that the problems in the book are easy - they are just not as time consuming as the problems the professor assigns.
By no means am I complaining. I love the challenge, and it is a reasonable amount of work the average being ten problems a week along with reading.
I talked to other students today in a group discussion and we all feel the same though and don't fully know how to prepare for the exam.
After talking to the TA though he said the book has good problems so I have been doing those and feel like I am actually learning a lot now.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/giant-snowball.80176/

The above post contains a problem that stumps MANY undergrads due to its apparent simplicity. Its called the snowball problem.

A skier starts at the top of a very large frictionless snowball, with a very small initial speed, and skis straigt down the side. At what point does the skier loses contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent. That is, at the instant the skier loses contact with the snowball, what angle does the radial line from the center of the snowball to the skier make with the vertical?

donpacino said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/giant-snowball.80176/

The above post contains a problem that stumps MANY undergrads due to its apparent simplicity. Its called the snowball problem.

A skier starts at the top of a very large frictionless snowball, with a very small initial speed, and skis straigt down the side. At what point does the skier loses contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent. That is, at the instant the skier loses contact with the snowball, what angle does the radial line from the center of the snowball to the skier make with the vertical?
That's a good problem thank you.

an edit to this: My professor posted these core topics to go over:

kinematics of constant acceleration
relative motion and reference frames
the application of Newton's laws
Make sure you can make use of the forces we discussed for the third homework
- gravity, normal force, string tension, static and kinetic

I am feeling really comfortable with that material but he said there will only be 3 problems, so I know the problems will have to cover a range of material. Going to go study for the day - thanks for the help everyone! I love this site :P

Likes berkeman

1. What are some effective study strategies for preparing for a physics exam?

Some effective study strategies for preparing for a physics exam include reviewing class notes and textbook material, practicing problems and equations, creating study guides or flashcards, and seeking help from professors or classmates if needed.

2. How can I best manage my time while studying for a physics exam?

It is important to create a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize difficult topics or concepts, and take breaks to avoid burnout. It may also be helpful to break up studying into smaller chunks over a longer period of time rather than cramming all at once.

3. Are there any specific resources or tools that can aid in studying for a physics exam?

There are many resources available for studying physics, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Some universities also offer tutoring services or study sessions specifically for physics courses.

4. How can I stay calm and focused during the exam?

To stay calm and focused during the exam, it is important to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, and arrive to the exam early. Taking deep breaths and reminding yourself of your preparation can also help to reduce test anxiety.

5. Is it important to review material from previous exams or assignments?

Yes, it is important to review material from previous exams or assignments as it can help to reinforce concepts and identify any areas that need extra attention. It may also be helpful to compare previous exams to the upcoming one to get a better understanding of the types of questions that may be asked.