Evaluate a simple double integral

In summary, the disc of radius 1 has boundaries x^2 + y^2 = 1 andIntegral from -root (1-x^2) to root (1-x^2) of root (1-x^2 - y^2) dy.in a list of integrals i found that if you have an integral in the form root (a^2 - u^2), the antiderivative is u/2 * root (a^2 - u^2) + a^2/2 * sin^-1 (u/a) so if i set a^2 = 1-x^2 and u^2 = y^2, my integral has exactly this
theneedtoknow
Evaluate a "simple" double integral

Homework Statement

Evaluate the double integral of f(x,y) = square root (1 - x^2 - y^2) over the disk centred at the origin of radius 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the disc of radius one has boundaries x^2 + y^2 = 1
i am integrating it in the order dydx
the disk is bound above by y = root (1 - x^2) and below by y = -root (1 - x^2)

So the inner part of the double integral would be
Integral from -root (1-x^2) to root (1-x^2) of root (1 - x^2 - y^2) dy

in a list of integrals i found that if you have an integral in the form root (a^2 - u^2), the antiderivative is u/2 * root (a^2 - u^2) + a^2/2 * sin^-1 (u/a)

so if i set a^2 = 1-x^2 and u^2 = y^2, my integral has exactly this form, so the solution should be
root(1-x^2)/ 2 * root (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) + (1-x^2)/2 * sin^-1 (root (1-x^2)/ root (1-x^2) - [ (-root(1-x^2) / x * (root (1 - x^2 - (1 - x^2)) + (1-x^2)/2 * sin ^-1 (-root(1-x^2) / root (1-x^2)

Which simplifies pretty cleanly to

(1-x^2) / 2 * (sin^-1 (1) - sin^-1 (-1)

= (1-x^2)/2 * (-Pi)
= -Pi/2 + Pix^2/2

Now for the outer integral, i have to integrate this from x = -1 to x = 1

and I get
Integral of -Pi/2 + Pix^2/2 = -Pi x/2 + Pi x^3 /6
evaluating this from -1 to 1 i get
- Pi / 2 + Pi/6 - (Pi / 2 - Pi / 6) = -2Pi / 3

But this gives me a negative value and I thought that the integral should be positive since it is essentally calculating the volume below the curve z = root (1 - x^2 - y^2)...and that function is positive for the entire disk of radius 1 , so i don't see why i am getting a negative number...what in the world is going on :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Using polar coordinates from the start will simplify the question

Yeah but we have not yet learned polar coordinates :) so I have no idea how to use them

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a two-dimensional plane. It is represented by two nested integral signs.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by first determining the limits of integration for both variables and then using a method such as the Riemann sum or the Fubini's theorem to calculate the integral.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral?

Evaluating a double integral allows us to find the area under a surface in a three-dimensional space, calculate the volume of a solid, or determine the average value of a function over a given region.

4. What are some common techniques used to evaluate double integrals?

Some common techniques used to evaluate double integrals include changing the order of integration, using substitution, and applying symmetry to simplify the integral.

5. Can a double integral be evaluated numerically?

Yes, a double integral can be evaluated numerically using methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods approximate the integral by dividing the region into smaller subregions and calculating the area under the curve for each subregion.