Can Diffraction Gratings Resolve Close Wavelengths in Visible Light Spectrum?

I have no idea how to do the next question, sorry.The last part is asking how many "orders" of diffraction you can observe given the lower and upper wavelengths of the light being used. The formula for diffraction grating isn\lambda = d\sin \theta_{n} So you just solve for the last order of diffraction, n, that you can observe given that the largest wavelength is 700 nm. In summary, the line spacing of the diffraction grating is 5 microns, with 2000 gratings per centimeter. The lowest order necessary to resolve both the 519.8 nm and 520 nm lines is 2, and the width of the grating
cheff3r

Homework Statement

A line corresponding to light of the wavelength 519.8 nm is observed at an angle 12 degrees in the second-order spectrum of a diffraction grating. The grating is 1 cm in width,
what is the line spacing of the grating?
how many per centimetre?
what is the lowest order in which the grating can resolve both this line at 519.8 nm and a near by line at 520 nm?
If these lines were to be resolved in the first-order diffraction pattern, what width would the grating need to be made?
If the grating is illuminated by light (400-700nm) what is the largest order for which complete spectrum of visible light can be observed?

Homework Equations

m*[tex]\lambda[/tex]=d*
where m is the 'order'

The Attempt at a Solution

So I don't really now what I'm doing yet, but I want only help on the first couple parts then when I get them right possible help in the later sections
so for the first question
d= [tex]\frac{m*lambda}{sin (theta)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2*519.8*10^-9}{sin 12}[/tex] = 5*10^-6 m
so does this represent spacing between each diffraction? if this is the case then the next part is 5*10^-4 per centimetre??

Either way what the next part is not really related so I will attempt it as well (what is the lowest order in which the grating can resolve both this line at 519.8 nm and a near by line at 520 nm?)
so i used the formula twice
m*[tex]\lambda[/tex]=d*sin [tex]\theta[/tex]
once for each wave length ([tex]\lambda[/tex]) and the plane was to solve it for different m's until it gave the same d, however I'm unsure what to do with the sine term can i drop it? (since we are not considering an angle)

Yeah so I am likely to be completely wrong with this (especially the last bit I tried) but I did a decent attempt the problem,
Has anyone one got a decent website for teaching this topic? (I can't find one)

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something like it must be a maximum intensity or something?

Can anyone point me towards a website on second-order spectrum stuff, i have looked can't find any decent information on the topic (only general ideas)

In problems that use Bragg's law, depending on how the laser is shined on the grating (or crystal lattice), you might have a coefficient of 2 out front (c.f. x-ray diffractometry). Most questions that mention a diffraction grating use the equation with a coefficient of 2. Without a diagram of the problem I can't easily describe to you which to equation to use--if the light diffracts through a slit then there's no 2 but if it bounces through a layer or two of diffraction grating then multiply by 2.

Assuming there's no coefficient of 2, the way I learned Bragg's law is:
[tex]n\lambda = d\sin \theta_{n} [/tex]
Lambda is the wavelength, theta is the angle from the midpoint (of the screen) of the peak in question, d is the size of the slit (spacing between gratings), and the peaks in question are numbered 1, 2, 3,... in order from the midpoint. (The peaks are symetrically located about the midpoint, i.e., there is an n=1 peak at [tex]+\theta_{1}[/tex] and at [tex]-\theta_{1}[/tex])

Therefore you can calculate the intra-layer spacing of the grating=d.

In your problem, they say the line is "second order", and then they say m is the "order", which to me means m=2, and so my equation would have n=2. Therefore,
[tex]d=\frac{n\lambda}{\sin \theta}=\frac{(2)(519.8\ \textup{nm})}{12 \ \textup{degrees}}[/tex]
Which yields the same as you, about 5 microns between gratings. Therefore, there is 1 grating every 5 microns.

Now here's where you made a mistake.
[tex]\left (\frac{1 \ \textup{grating}}{5\ \textup{microns}} \right )\left ( \frac{10,000 \ \textup{microns}}{1 \ \textup{cm}} \right )=\frac{2000\ \textup{gratings}}{1 \ \textup{cm}}[/tex]

However, I would double check to make sure you weren't supposed to use
[tex]n\lambda = 2d\sin \theta_{n} [/tex]

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits or grooves etched onto a surface. It is used to split and diffract light into its component wavelengths, allowing for the study of the light's properties.

How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by causing light waves to interfere constructively and destructively as they pass through the slits or grooves. This interference results in a pattern of bright and dark spots, known as a diffraction pattern, which can be used to analyze the properties of the light.

What is the difference between a hard diffraction grating and a soft diffraction grating?

A hard diffraction grating has a fixed, permanent pattern of slits or grooves, while a soft diffraction grating has a flexible or adjustable pattern. Soft diffraction gratings are often made of materials like gelatin, and are commonly used in educational settings.

What are some applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications, including spectroscopy, optical communications, and laser technology. They are also used in the production of holograms and in various scientific instruments for measuring the properties of light.

How are diffraction gratings manufactured?

Diffraction gratings are typically manufactured using techniques such as lithography, diamond ruling, or holographic interference. These methods involve creating a precise pattern of slits or grooves on a material, such as glass or metal, using specialized equipment and processes.