Definition of an atomic sentence

In summary, an atomic sentence is a type of logical statement that cannot be broken down any further without losing its meaning. It is composed of a single subject and a single predicate, connected by a linking verb. Atomic sentences are the building blocks of more complex sentences and can be used to make logical arguments and deductions. They are also known as basic sentences or simple statements.
Matthias765
Can somebody please tell me what is the definition of an atomic sentence and the definition of a molecular sentence? Thanks

:smile: :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
Atomic sentences have no connectives (~, &, v, ->, <->), and are usually represented by capital letters, sometimes using subscripts:

P
Q
B1
B2
etc.

A molecular sentence is composed of one or more atomic sentences and one or more connectives:
~P
(P & Q)
(P v ~Q)
~(B1 -> B2) & B3
etc.

Do you need to know more than that?

Last edited:
Thanks for telling me about atomic and molecular sentences, that's all I need to know for now.

What is an atomic sentence?

An atomic sentence is a basic unit of language that expresses a single thought or proposition. It is made up of a subject and a predicate, and is considered to be a complete statement on its own.

How is an atomic sentence different from a complex sentence?

An atomic sentence is a simple sentence that cannot be broken down into smaller parts, while a complex sentence is made up of multiple clauses and can be broken down into smaller sentences. Additionally, an atomic sentence does not contain any subordinate clauses.

Can an atomic sentence be true or false?

Yes, an atomic sentence can be evaluated as true or false based on its meaning and the facts of the situation it describes. This is known as its truth value.

What are some examples of atomic sentences?

Examples of atomic sentences include "The cat is black," "I am happy," and "The sky is blue." These statements express a single thought or proposition and do not contain any subordinate clauses.

Why is understanding atomic sentences important in science?

In science, atomic sentences are used to make precise and concise statements about observations, experiments, and theories. They are the building blocks of scientific language and are essential for clear communication and logical reasoning.