Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions

In summary, the speaker is a beginner in quantum physics and is working on a project involving the Quantum Gravity Gradiometer. They are stuck on understanding Raman Transitions and the role of "two photons" in "two-photon stimulated Raman Transition." They have referenced a letter by Mark Kasevich and Steven Chu and a thesis by Ben Stray for their information.
Nijiro
Hello everyone!

I don't know much about quantum physics. I'm an amator, but I want to expand and deepen my knowledge in quantum. So, I decided on the Quantum Gravity Gradiometer to be the subject of my supervised personal initiative work. But I'm currently stuck with many things among which are Raman Transitions. So, the gradiometer uses atom interferometry, which is realized through two-photon stimulated Raman Transitions. I read the letter published by Mark Kasevich and Steven Chu on the matter, I got the gist of it: it's similar to a Mach Zenhder interferometer with the light and atoms roles interchanged. The interferometer uses Raman pulses and I assume that they're Laser beams with specific frequencies to stimulate Raman Transitions in atoms (please correct me if I'm mistaken). However, I still don't get what are the "two photons" in "Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transition"? Wikipedia says that the molecule simultaneously absorbs both pump and Stokes photons. I assume they are the "two photons". But what is a Stokes photon? All I get when I google it are Stokes lines and Stokes shift.

Please ask me for clarification if any of my sentences is ambiguous as I'm not native in English.
Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any references for any of the terms that you put in bold in your post?

Likes Nijiro
PeterDonis said:
Do you have any references for any of the terms that you put in bold in your post?
Hello!
Yes, I do.
- Mark Kasevich and Steven Chu, Atomic interferometry using stimulated Raman transitions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 181 – Published 8 July 1991.
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.67.181
- Ben Stray, A Cold Atom Gravity Gradiometer with Field Application Performance. Thesis, Univ. Birmingham (2021), pp 21-43.
https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/11762/1/Stray2021PhD.pdf

1. What are Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions?

Two-photon stimulated Raman transitions are a type of spectroscopic technique where two photons of different frequencies are used to excite a molecule from one energy state to another. This technique allows for the detection of Raman scattering, which provides information about the vibrational and rotational states of a molecule.

2. How do Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions work?

In two-photon stimulated Raman transitions, the first photon excites the molecule to a virtual state, which is a temporary energy state that is not actually occupied by the molecule. The second photon then interacts with the molecule in this virtual state, causing a change in the molecule's energy level and resulting in Raman scattering.

3. What are the advantages of using Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions?

Two-photon stimulated Raman transitions have several advantages over other spectroscopic techniques. They allow for the detection of weak Raman signals, which may not be observable with other methods. They also have a higher spatial resolution and can be used to study samples that are not easily accessible with other techniques.

4. What types of molecules can be studied using Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions?

Two-photon stimulated Raman transitions can be used to study a wide range of molecules, including gases, liquids, and solids. They are particularly useful for studying complex molecules, such as biological molecules, that have many vibrational and rotational states.

5. How are Two-photon Stimulated Raman Transitions used in scientific research?

Two-photon stimulated Raman transitions are commonly used in scientific research to study the structure and dynamics of molecules. They have applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science, and are used to study a variety of processes, including chemical reactions, protein folding, and material properties.