Looking for reference on decay randomness

In summary, researchers have found evidence that radioactive decay may not be as predictable as previously thought, with some experiments showing variations in decay rates. This discovery has been met with some skepticism and further research is needed to fully understand its significance.
Steve_
Hello,
Sometime in the last 6 months I read that researchers analyzing data from the decay of a subatomic particle and reported that the decay appeared to be random or unpredictable. I recall they said this particular reaction was very low level. This would have been in either Science, Nature, Scientific American, or Science News. I have retired and access to them is difficult now.
Does anyone remember that publication?
I would like to learn more about this work and its significance. My typical search engine responses are too large to read in entirety and frustratingly full of junk. Any search suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
As I recall some experiments had shown that the radioactive decay wasn't random but appeared to vary with the time of year. Other experiments ruled out any such variation to a reasonable confidence level...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370269312002341

Like you, I'm sure I've seen articles in the popular press on this subject but where?

Perhaps...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2012/08/neutrinos-and-solar-storms

RADIOACTIVE materials decay at a predictable rate—so predictable, in fact, that scientists widely use them to date artefacts and geological objects. That, at least, is the received wisdom, which Jere Jenkins and Ephraim Fischbach, from Purdue University in Indiana, think may need revising. In 2006 Dr Jenkins noticed that the decay rate of the radioactive isotope manganese-54 dipped 39 hours before a solar flare came crashing into Earth's protective magnetic field. Now it seems that the sun might affect other types of decay, too.

continues...

That result is utter, complete and total rubbish.

Fishbach has a habit of re-analyzing other people's data and making claims that the people who actually did the experiment would not make.

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry. The study you are referring to may be the research conducted by the LHCb collaboration at CERN, which was published in the journal Physical Review Letters in September 2019. The study focused on the decay of a subatomic particle called the B0 meson and found that its decay appeared to be random, with no underlying pattern or predictability.

This finding has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, as it challenges the concept of determinism in the subatomic world. The random nature of the B0 meson's decay suggests that there may be a deeper level of randomness and uncertainty in the universe than previously thought.

To learn more about this study and its significance, you can start by reading the original paper published in Physical Review Letters. You can also try searching for articles or news pieces on the study in reputable science news websites such as ScienceDaily or Phys.org. Additionally, you can check if your local library or university has access to online databases that contain scientific journals, which may make it easier for you to access the full text of the paper.

I hope this helps in your search for more information on this topic. Best of luck in your research.

Sincerely,

1. What is decay randomness?

Decay randomness refers to the unpredictable and random nature of the decay process in which unstable atoms or particles break down and release energy in the form of radiation.

2. Why is understanding decay randomness important?

Understanding decay randomness is important in various scientific fields, such as nuclear physics and environmental science, as it allows for accurate predictions and measurements of radioactive decay rates and the potential impacts of radioactive materials on the environment and human health.

3. How is decay randomness studied?

Decay randomness is studied through statistical analysis of decay events and the use of mathematical models, such as the Poisson distribution, to describe the probability of decay occurring at any given time.

4. What factors can affect decay randomness?

Several factors can affect decay randomness, including the type of radioactive material, its half-life, and the conditions in which it is present (e.g. temperature, pressure). External factors, such as radiation exposure or collisions with other particles, can also influence decay randomness.

5. How is decay randomness used in practical applications?

Decay randomness is used in various practical applications, such as radiocarbon dating and medical imaging techniques like PET scans. It is also crucial in nuclear power generation and the development of radiation-based cancer treatments.