Looking for reference on decay randomness

by Steve_
Tags: decay, randomness, reference
Share this thread:
Steve_
Jan15-14, 12:14 PM
P: 6
Hello,
Sometime in the last 6 months I read that researchers analyzing data from the decay of a subatomic particle and reported that the decay appeared to be random or unpredictable. I recall they said this particular reaction was very low level. This would have been in either Science, Nature, Scientific American, or Science News. I have retired and access to them is difficult now.
Does anyone remember that publication?
I would like to learn more about this work and its significance. My typical search engine responses are too large to read in entirety and frustratingly full of junk. Any search suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Steve
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
CWatters
Jan15-14, 01:25 PM
P: 3,247
As I recall some experiments had shown that the radioactive decay wasn't random but appeared to vary with the time of year. Other experiments ruled out any such variation to a reasonable confidence level...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...70269312002341

Like you, I'm sure I've seen articles in the popular press on this subject but where?
CWatters
Jan15-14, 01:30 PM
P: 3,247
Perhaps...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...d-solar-storms

RADIOACTIVE materials decay at a predictable rate—so predictable, in fact, that scientists widely use them to date artefacts and geological objects. That, at least, is the received wisdom, which Jere Jenkins and Ephraim Fischbach, from Purdue University in Indiana, think may need revising. In 2006 Dr Jenkins noticed that the decay rate of the radioactive isotope manganese-54 dipped 39 hours before a solar flare came crashing into Earth's protective magnetic field. Now it seems that the sun might affect other types of decay, too.

continues...

Vanadium 50
Jan15-14, 01:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,462
Looking for reference on decay randomness

That result is utter, complete and total rubbish.

Fishbach has a habit of re-analyzing other people's data and making claims that the people who actually did the experiment would not make.

Register to reply