Hackers get Mac running Windows

In summary: XP was only going to work if it was installed on a special piece of hardware that Apple made. I don't think that's still the case.Windows running on Mac hardware is old news? The thing that has made this possible is Apple's switch to the Intel x86 architecture, which has only been recent. I don't see how you would do this previously, unless you were running an emulator, which is not the same thing.In the version I read (don't have the source anymore, don't recall which news source I was reading), they said the folks who managed this were going to continue with it as an open-source project to improve the hack further.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
:rolleyes: What is the world coming to?

Hackers have managed to get Microsoft's Windows XP operating system running on an Apple Mac computer.

The success ends a competition started to see if the feat was even possible when Apple unveiled computers that used Intel chips.

The pair who managed the feat won $13,854 (£7,895) in prize money for their trouble.

The software used to put Windows on the Mac is now being circulated so others can try to replicate the success.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4816520.stm

What a horrible thing to do! :yuck: :biggrin:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Don't you know ? Resistance is futile. http://gattaca.com.ar/weblog/wp-content/borg.jpg

Astronuc said:
The software used to put Windows on the Mac is now being circulated so others can try to replicate the success.

What a horrible thing to do! :yuck: :biggrin:

Yeah ... :rofl: , these are some sick dudes :biggrin: .

PerennialII said:
Yeah ... :rofl: , these are some sick dudes :biggrin: .
They are just plain evil! EVIL, I tell you! :biggrin:

Windows is bad enough, but XP?! :yuck:

I can't tell you how many headaches over incompatibility I've had.

And I discovered too late (i.e. after the fact) that one should not upgrade to XP SP2! Apparently everyone who has upgraded the original SP1 to SP2 has had problems.

This is old news I knew you could get windows to runs macs for a few years.I herd it make both windows and macs more effecient.

Windows running on Mac hardware is old news? The thing that has made this possible is Apple's switch to the Intel x86 architecture, which has only been recent. I don't see how you would do this previously, unless you were running an emulator, which is not the same thing.

In the version I read (don't have the source anymore, don't recall which news source I was reading), they said the folks who managed this were going to continue with it as an open-source project to improve the hack further.

Apple doesn't really mind...they're not going to make it possible, but the article I read also said they aren't planning to stop anyone from doing it. And why would they? As long as you're willing to buy their computers, I'm sure they couldn't care less what you decide to use them for. And, if it became possible to more easily install Windows on Macs, it would be an easier way for people to transition between OSs without having to buy all new software right away. Install your Windows software initially, and when you're ready to upgrade, upgrade to the Mac version. Or, keep both OSs on the computer and use both for a while until you find which you prefer. Nope, I can't see any reason they'd complain or stop people from trying this.

Astronuc said:
They are just plain evil! EVIL, I tell you! :biggrin:

Yeah, it's horrid the levels people will stoop to for a little prize money! :rofl:

I agree 100%.

I read this on /. As far as I understood the competition was to dual boot osX and XP

1. Can Macs actually run Windows?

Yes, Macs can run Windows through a process called dual-booting. This allows you to switch between the Mac operating system and Windows on the same computer.

2. How do I dual-boot Windows on my Mac?

To dual-boot Windows on a Mac, you will need to use a software tool such as Boot Camp, which is included in the Mac operating system. Boot Camp allows you to partition your hard drive and install Windows on one side while keeping your Mac operating system on the other.

3. Are there any risks associated with dual-booting Windows on a Mac?

Yes, there are some risks involved with dual-booting Windows on a Mac. It is important to back up all of your data before attempting to install Windows. There is also a risk of damaging your hard drive or losing data if something goes wrong during the installation process.

4. Do I need a Windows license to run Windows on my Mac?

Yes, you will need a valid Windows license in order to install and use Windows on your Mac. This can be purchased from Microsoft or through a third-party retailer.

5. Can I run all Windows applications on a Mac?

No, not all Windows applications are compatible with Macs. Some applications may require specific hardware or software that is not available on a Mac. It is important to check for compatibility before attempting to run a Windows application on a Mac.