Did I Really Study for High School Tests?

In summary, you studied a bit in high school but it didn't really matter. You did well on tests without studying, and you didn't need to study in high school because you had a good grades.
ideasrule
Homework Helper
When you were in high school, how much did you study for tests? You can guess from the title how much I studied...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall ever studying in high school, at least not what I was supposed to be studying. :uhh: Then again, that was a long, long time ago.

It doesn't really matter what everyone else had to do. There is not one answer. What you need to find out is what you have to do.

Not at all.

If the course required turning in a notebook, I pretty much had a guaranteed 'A' on all the tests.

For the rest of my courses, it could be hit or miss. The stuff that sticks, sticks for a long time. I always nailed the end of semester final exams. I never put in any effort into memorizing the last few things that would get me a good test score, resulting in some mighty inconsistent performances. I remember my biology class - it was the first class that I managed to hit every passing grade in the same semester. An A on the final, but hit B, C, and D for the 6 week grading periods (I don't remember what order I got the grades in, though).

Shoot, I ran cross country and held down a job. When was I going to find time to study?

I never studied for anything in HS. I barely even did my homework.

I almost never studied in high school. I'd look over my notes a few times before exams. I did do my homework assignments and pay attention and take notes in class, but that's it. I don't even think I ever opened my books other than to find the assigned homework problems in them. I didn't need to study in high school; I had mostly As and a few Bs along the way without studying. I had a very rude awakening when I got to college and actually needed to study and didn't really understand what was involved in it. On the upside, I think my own mistakes have made me a better teacher now, because I can anticipate the trouble my students have, be proactive about it, and help them overcome it faster than I did on my own.

Topher925 said:
I never studied for anything in HS. I barely even did my homework.

Now look where you ended up, in PF :yuck:. I also did the same as well. I lacked the motivation. I didn't find it very interesting.

Interesting how many senior members didn't have to study much if at all.

I did just enough to get by. I remember spending some time writing papers but not very much on studying. I was kind of a delinquent and more interested in boys than books. Our high school wasn't that demanding, though. I did the standard four years in three. I even had a waitressing job during the last year.

Oops, I posted in the wrong forum (as in, this wasn't supposed to go into PF).

Anyhow, this isn't academic advice, just curiosity, so I don't think the move from General Discussion was appropriate.

Kurdt said:
It doesn't really matter what everyone else had to do. There is not one answer. What you need to find out is what you have to do.

Well, considering the fact that I'm not in school, that may be a bit hard. :tongue:

From your post I assumed you might have been and had a bad test. :tongue:

1. How do you prepare for high school tests?

There is no one right way to prepare for high school tests, as everyone has different learning styles and study methods that work best for them. However, some general tips include creating a study schedule, reviewing class notes and materials regularly, practicing with sample questions, and seeking help from teachers or peers when needed.

2. Are high school tests important?

High school tests are an important part of the education system. They allow students to demonstrate their understanding of the material and show their academic progress. High school tests can also impact a student's grades and college admissions, so it is important to take them seriously and prepare accordingly.

3. How do you deal with test anxiety?

Test anxiety is a common issue among students, but there are several ways to cope with it. Some strategies include deep breathing exercises, positive self-talk, and focusing on the present moment. It may also help to talk to a trusted adult or seek professional help if the anxiety becomes overwhelming.

4. What should I do if I didn't study enough for a high school test?

If you find yourself in a situation where you didn't study enough for a high school test, it's important to remain calm and not panic. Take a few deep breaths and try to recall any information you do remember. If possible, quickly review any notes or materials that you have. During the test, prioritize answering the questions you do know and come back to the more challenging ones later.

5. How do high school tests differ from other exams?

High school tests may differ from other exams in the sense that they cover a specific subject or course material, while other exams may cover a broader range of topics. Additionally, high school tests may have a larger impact on a student's overall grade and academic progress. However, the general strategies for preparing and taking exams are often similar.