Capacitors, energy storage and energy release

In summary, capacitors can store and release charge quickly, and this is useful in circuits because they can be used to create magnetic fields, power oscillators, produce light, and smooth out ripple in power supplies.
godtripp
Just a short concept question for understanding...

I understand that a capacitor stores a charge,

However I'm told that capacitors can be used to store up a charge and release it very quickly.
How does this energy get released is what I don't understand.

To my understanding of a capacitor it stores a charge and if it gets too much charge there's a dielectric breakdown.

How is this useful in a circuit?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dielectric breakdown is not useful in a circuit as far as I know. The way to quickly release the energy is to connect a small resistance to it. You could connect an inductor to get a large magnetic field, or make an oscillator, use it for a flashlight, or use it in a power supply to smooth out the 50/60Hz ripple.

Related to Capacitors, energy storage and energy release

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a device that is used to store electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is created, which allows the capacitor to store energy.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor stores energy by accumulating an electric charge on its plates. When a capacitor is connected to a power source, such as a battery, the voltage causes electrons to accumulate on one plate, creating a negative charge, while the other plate becomes positively charged. This separation of charges creates an electric field that stores the energy.

3. How is energy released from a capacitor?

When a capacitor is connected to a circuit, it releases its stored energy in the form of an electric current. The electric charges on the plates flow from one plate to the other, creating a current. The rate at which the energy is released depends on the capacitance of the capacitor, which is determined by the size and distance of the plates.

4. What are the applications of capacitors?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in various industries, including electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. They are used to store energy in electronic circuits, filter out unwanted signals, and improve the power factor in electrical systems. They are also used in energy storage systems, such as batteries and supercapacitors.

5. Can capacitors be dangerous?

While capacitors may store large amounts of energy, they are generally not considered dangerous. However, if not handled properly, they can cause electric shocks, as the stored energy can discharge suddenly. It is important to discharge capacitors before working on them and to always follow safety precautions when handling them.