Graduate next spring or finish math degree?

In summary, the individual is trying to decide between graduating in spring 2014 with a B.S. in physics or staying another year to also obtain a B.S. in computational mathematics. They are considering taking additional physics courses and labs to boost their GPA and have been told that a degree in computational mathematics could be beneficial for their future plans in graduate school. They have a research opportunity in applied mathematics and are considering applying for graduate studies in computational physics, experimental physics, and nuclear engineering. The individual is seeking advice on whether to graduate now or stay for the additional year.
DocHoliday
Overview: Can't decide between two scenarios.
1)Graduate spring 2014 with B.S. in physics
2)Graduate spring 2015 with B.S. physics and B.S. in computational mathematics
(also with additional physics courses and labs)

Situation:
I can graduate next spring with the minimal classes for a B.S. in physics or stay another year and also get my computational mathematics B.S. In doing so I would take some more higher level physics (maybe 1 or 2 graduate classes), and also boost my GPA. My current GPA is a 3.4 overall and a 3.4 for mathematics / physics combined, dragged down from one bad freshman semester. I have been told that having a computational mathematics degree (the programming part) can help, but also have been told it won't matter. I also have a spot in the mathematics department doing research in which I find very interesting (applied mathematics).

Plans:
I would like to hopefully attend graduate school to do computational physics and / or experimental physics. I would also be applying to graduates schools for nuclear engineering. If I stay for a mathematics degree also I would apply for applied mathematics.

Thoughts? Any insight is helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi! I would not worry about the extra year if you plan on doing graduate studies. Personally I would just get into graduate studies and teach myself the subjects. That said, you may want to boost your GPA if you plan on getting awards. However, most schools will only look at the final 60 credits as well (which luckily for me were all A's and A+'s).

To sum up, just graduate! There is no point staying in undergrad when you could be doing graduate studies (if you feel you are ready).

Hope I was somewhat helpful and good luck!

1. Can I graduate next spring if I finish my math degree?

Yes, if you complete all the required courses and meet all the graduation requirements, you can graduate next spring with your math degree.

2. How many credits do I need to graduate next spring with a math degree?

The number of credits required for graduation varies depending on the university and the specific math program. It is best to check with your academic advisor or refer to the university's graduation requirements for an accurate answer.

3. What courses do I need to take to graduate next spring with a math degree?

The specific courses required for graduation also vary depending on the university and math program. Generally, you will need to complete a combination of core math courses, electives, and general education requirements to fulfill your degree requirements.

4. Can I graduate next spring if I have not completed all my math courses?

It depends on the specific math program and university's policies. Some universities may allow students to graduate with a few remaining courses, while others may require all courses to be completed before graduation. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.

5. Will I still be able to graduate next spring if I switch my major from math to a different field?

It depends on the number of credits you have completed and the requirements for your new major. If you have already completed a significant number of math courses, it may be difficult to switch and graduate in the same timeframe. However, if you switch early enough and meet all the requirements, it is still possible to graduate next spring with a different major.