Studying physics INDEPENDANTLY. Suggestions?

In summary, the person asking for help is a high school student who is looking to learn physics in a logical, sequential order starting from basic physics and progressing to more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and theoretical physics. They are also looking for help in finding textbooks and online resources to supplement their learning. Some suggestions include checking university websites for recommended course sequences and textbooks, using websites such as HyperPhysics and MIT's OpenCourseWare, and working through textbooks such as Serway & Jewett's "Physics for Scientists & Engineers" and Stewart's "Calculus." It is also recommended to master a portion of Calculus and Linear Algebra before moving on to differential equations.
Übermensch
First off, let it be noted that I'm not yet of age to go to university, and my high-school courses simply aren't challenging enough, so I always interest myself in studies of my own; in the last few years, I've studied linguistics, psychology, and biology... But I know next to nothing about physics! :zzz:

So the question is; where can I learn things in a logical, sequential order? That is, starting from fairly basic physics, and progressing eventually into quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, whatever else interests me. Keep in mind that I don't have a very great math background, so I'll need to learn the math alongside the physics. Without a classroom environment, it seems challenging to know what to read, when to read it, and what I need to know first.

I'm willing to buy textbooks if I can find them anywhere, and the attachment below is a list of textbooks I currently have easy access to. There are plenty, but a sequential order is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• Textbooklist.txt
    28.9 KB · Views: 809
Physics news on Phys.org
I am a college sophomore this year and I have taken algebra based physics and this semester i am in the first calculus based physics class. I don't know what math level you are or what classes you have taken but this is my thought...
*Follow the website above for great help on order.
*If you have not taken calculus pick up a algebra based physics book and start there. The one I used in my class was Cutnell and Johnson "Physics"
*If you have taken calculus, start with the calc based stuff. Again my book is... "Understanding Physics" by Cummings/Laws/Redish/Cooney.
*If there is a college near you that you can do a dual enrollment in that might take some of the uncertainty out of it as well. I know a few people who are doing the dual enrollment and find it very helpful and as a way to continue on and be challenged.

I hope this helps a little. Best of luck to you.

Übermensch said:
First off, let it be noted that I'm not yet of age to go to university, and my high-school courses simply aren't challenging enough, so I always interest myself in studies of my own; in the last few years, I've studied linguistics, psychology, and biology... But I know next to nothing about physics! :zzz:

So the question is; where can I learn things in a logical, sequential order? That is, starting from fairly basic physics, and progressing eventually into quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, whatever else interests me. Keep in mind that I don't have a very great math background, so I'll need to learn the math alongside the physics. Without a classroom environment, it seems challenging to know what to read, when to read it, and what I need to know first.

I'm willing to buy textbooks if I can find them anywhere, and the attachment below is a list of textbooks I currently have easy access to. There are plenty, but a sequential order is the problem. Any help would be appreciated. :)

There's seldom just one book that will cover ALL of what you want here, at least, not in any appreciable depth. I would suggest you study elementary physics that they teach in First Year intro physics. So texts such as Halliday and Resnick would be something I would suggest.

You may also start with legitimate websites such as http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html" . Those should have enough material at your level.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also check out a few college/university Web sites. Look at the course sequence that they require or recommend for their physics majors. Note the prerequisites (both math and physics) for various courses. They often also have syllabi on line that state which textbooks they use.

Check out MIT's OpenCourseWare:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

To start off, I would work through Serway & Jewett's Physics for Scientists & Engineers. For the math, James Stewart's Calculus 5th Edition is all you need.

After doing this, decide what branch of physics peaks your interest the most and go from there.

!

Ah, I'm impressed to see such activity here. Thanks for the help, I'm checking it out now. It looks like I have quite some math to learn. :redface:Also, I found this which is going to be quite some help:
http://www.msc.uky.edu/ken/ma109/notes.htm

However, where can I find a similarily structured tutorial for calculus/differential equations and such? I would indeed like to learn how the equations are derived as I learn it. :)

Last edited:
You will need to master a portion of Calculus and Linear Algebra first, I think, before you move into differential equations.

ultimateguy said:
To start off, I would work through Serway & Jewett's Physics for Scientists & Engineers. For the math, James Stewart's Calculus 5th Edition is all you need.

After doing this, decide what branch of physics peaks your interest the most and go from there.

Any edition of Stewart's Calculus will do.

Also, there are many other basic Calculus textbooks almost identical to Stewart's. Go for the cheaper one.

gnomes

zapper i am not trying to seduce anyone ...:confused:
the things listed there is useful for both experimental and theoretical ...
especiallly the basic stuff ...when it gets more complex theo amd experi ..go there separate ways.

What resources are available for studying physics independently?

There are numerous resources available for studying physics independently, including textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and study guides. You can also join online forums or study groups to connect with other students and discuss difficult concepts.

How can I stay motivated while studying physics independently?

Staying motivated while studying physics independently can be challenging, but setting specific goals and creating a study schedule can help. It's also important to take breaks and reward yourself for your progress. Additionally, reminding yourself of the real-world applications and exciting discoveries in physics can help keep you motivated.

What are some effective study strategies for learning physics independently?

Some effective study strategies for learning physics independently include active learning techniques such as practicing problems and teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and regularly reviewing material to reinforce your understanding.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when studying physics independently?

One common mistake when studying physics independently is not seeking help when needed. It's important to reach out to professors, tutors, or online resources when you're struggling with a concept. Another mistake is not practicing enough problems, as this is crucial for understanding and applying the material.

How can I test my understanding while studying physics independently?

There are several ways to test your understanding while studying physics independently. You can use practice problems, create flashcards, or take practice quizzes or exams. Additionally, teaching the material to someone else can be an effective way to assess your understanding and identify any areas that need further review.