How to make a glass out of a bottle

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary: This one falls into that category.In summary, you use a thin rope substance (like hemp rope) to cut a narrow opening in a glass bottle. You then use cold water to fill the bottle and subject it to intensely hot steam (a water source). The water INSIDE the bottle acts as a heat sink (not to mention the rope around the outside, which can act as a shield), and helps to cool the glass in the bottle that's touching the water. Meanwhile (since glass isn't a good conductor) the glass that's exposed to the steam directly expands and breaks.
transgalactic
using only
a bottle and a rope and a water soure

Physics news on Phys.org
transgalactic said:
using only
a bottle and a rope and a water soure

Do you mean looking glass?

no a class for contaning liquides

What's the bottle made out of? Can the water "source" be steam? Or ice, for that matter? Can I close the bottle? Actually, can I open it? How much rope is there? Is the rope thin enough to fit through the opening of the bottle, assuming there's one-and-only-one opening in the bottle? If the bottle isn't already made out of glass, I think the answer is pretty definitively "no", unless there are some other ingredients (like sand at least). Is there a time limit for how long it takes, or can it take 1000 years and still be acceptable?

DaveE

transgalactic said:
no a class for contaning liquides

...but the bottle already will contain liquid...why go to so much trouble?

Besides, topologically speaking they already are the same shape :smile: .

a glass bottle like a wine bottle
with a narrow opening

we need to convert it to a drinking cup
using a rope (as long as you want) and a water source

this process took at most 10 minutes

Last edited:
If I can use alcool too, I tie the rope around the bottle and soak it with alcool. Then I put water in the bottle until the level of the rope.
Igniting the rope the outside of the bottle will expand. The water dissipates the heat maintaining the form in the inside of the bottle.
The stress will cut the bottle neatly, making a drinking glass.

CEL said:
If I can use alcool too, I tie the rope around the bottle and soak it with alcool. Then I put water in the bottle until the level of the rope.
Igniting the rope the outside of the bottle will expand. The water dissipates the heat maintaining the form in the inside of the bottle.
The stress will cut the bottle neatly, making a drinking glass.

Well, you don't actually need alcohol for that, since there aren't any details whatsoever about the water source and so forth. You put cold water on the inside of the bottle, wrap the rope around the bottle appropriately, and subject it to intensely hot steam (a water source). Again, the water INSIDE the bottle acts as a heat sink (not to mention the rope around the outside, which can act as a shield), and helps to cool the glass in the bottle that's touching the water. Meanwhile (since glass isn't a good conductor) the glass that's exposed to the steam directly expands and breaks.

You could probably even do it with NO rope, and just using water, since the difference in temperature between nearly-freezing water and boiling water is (I believe) sufficient to break glass.

DaveE

davee123 said:
Well, you don't actually need alcohol for that, since there aren't any details whatsoever about the water source and so forth. You put cold water on the inside of the bottle, wrap the rope around the bottle appropriately, and subject it to intensely hot steam (a water source). Again, the water INSIDE the bottle acts as a heat sink (not to mention the rope around the outside, which can act as a shield), and helps to cool the glass in the bottle that's touching the water. Meanwhile (since glass isn't a good conductor) the glass that's exposed to the steam directly expands and breaks.

You could probably even do it with NO rope, and just using water, since the difference in temperature between nearly-freezing water and boiling water is (I believe) sufficient to break glass.

DaveE

Well, I have done the trick with alcool and a string (not a rope) and I know it works.

you are correct that its a string

this srting is a thin rope substance(like hemp rope)

no alcohol
and we have only cold water

in the end we get get a clean cut of the bottle

Last edited:
1st clue:
the water splits the glass

Soak the string. Tie it tightly around the bottle. Let it dry? It will shrink.

I just doubt that you'll avoid shattering the bottle.

And I assume we don't have to concern ourselves with a razor-sharp edge?

you are close to the truth but you are not correct

we get a lean cut

transgalactic said:
you are close to the truth but you are not correct
we get a lean cut
Then you've got to use the string as a saw. I'm just not sure how.

you tie a loop around the bottle at the place you want to cut it
and two people move it back and forward thus creating local heat from the friktion on the place of the rope

then we pore water on that bottle
and because of the heat differences the glass splits clean

I've noticed a lot of the brain teasers here aren't really brain teasers or riddles but more of "what would McGyver do" kind of questions.

1. How can I turn a bottle into a glass?

One way to turn a bottle into a glass is by using a glass cutter to score a line around the bottle. Then, carefully tap along the score line with a metal object to create a clean break. Sand down any sharp edges with sandpaper.

2. Can I make a glass out of any type of bottle?

It is possible to make a glass out of various types of bottles, but some materials, such as plastic or thin glass, may not be suitable for this process. It is best to use thicker glass bottles that can withstand the pressure of being scored and broken.

3. Do I need any special tools to make a glass out of a bottle?

While a glass cutter is the most effective tool for this process, you can also use other items such as a diamond-tip drill bit or a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel. However, these may not give as clean of a break as a glass cutter.

4. Is it safe to drink out of a glass made from a bottle?

If the bottle is thoroughly cleaned and the edges are sanded down, it should be safe to drink out of a glass made from a bottle. However, be cautious when using a glass made from a bottle that previously held chemicals or other hazardous substances.

5. How can I make the glass smooth and shiny?

After breaking the bottle and sanding down the edges, you can use a glass grinder or polishing compound to smooth out any rough areas and give the glass a shiny finish. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the glass after using any chemicals or polishing agents.