Mastering Integration Techniques: Solving ∫x^4 e^-x dx

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the steps involved in solving the integral ∫x^4 e^-x dx are recognizing the form of the integral and applying the appropriate integration technique, simplifying the integrand using algebraic manipulation, applying the power rule for integration to the x^4 term, using integration by parts for the e^-x term, and simplifying the resulting integral and solving for the constant of integration. It is important to master integration techniques because they are fundamental in calculus and have many applications in various fields. The difference between definite and indefinite integrals is that a definite integral has specific limits and represents the area under a curve, while an indefinite integral has no limits and represents the general anti-derivative of a function. The choice of integration
afcwestwarrior
∫x^4 e^-x dx

ok this equation looks like this integral
∫u^n e^au du= (1/a) u^n e^au - n/a ∫u^n-1 e^au du

i did integration by parts and i ran in circles, and i tried substituting u=-x

but i couldn't do much with it, so what can i do

Physics news on Phys.org
afcwestwarrior said:
i did integration by parts and i ran in circles

[tex]\int x^4 e^{-x} dx = -x^4 e^{-x} + \int 4 x^3 e^{-x} dx [/tex]
Itterate this for the integral on the right until the x term disapears.

What are the steps involved in solving the integral ∫x^4 e^-x dx?

The steps involved in solving this integral are:

• 1. Recognizing the form of the integral and applying the appropriate integration technique
  • 2. Simplifying the integrand using algebraic manipulation
  • 3. Applying the power rule for integration to the x^4 term
  • 4. Using integration by parts for the e^-x term
  • 5. Simplifying the resulting integral and solving for the constant of integration

Why is it important to master integration techniques?

Mastering integration techniques is important because integration is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many applications, such as finding areas, volumes, and solving differential equations. It is also a crucial skill for students studying mathematics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents the area under a curve within those limits. An indefinite integral has no limits and represents the general anti-derivative of a function.

How do I know which integration technique to use?

The choice of integration technique depends on the form of the integrand. Some common techniques include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The more you practice and familiarize yourself with these techniques, the easier it will become to recognize which one to use.

Is there a shortcut or trick to solving integrals?

There is no shortcut or trick to solving integrals. It requires understanding the fundamental concepts and techniques, as well as practice and familiarity with different types of integrals. However, there are some helpful tips, such as recognizing common patterns or using algebraic manipulation to simplify the integrand, that can make the process easier.