Distance Travelled by Car from A to D

• Thread starter thereddevils
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to find the distance traveled by a car from point A to D, given that it travels at an average speed of 30 km/h from A to B, 60 km/h from B to C, and 40 km/h from C to D, and the entire journey takes 6 hours. However, there is not enough information to accurately solve the problem as the time intervals between each section is not specified. Therefore, there are an infinite number of solutions possible.
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Find the distance traveled by the car from point A to D. From A to B, the car travels at an average speed of 30 km/h, from B to C, 60 km/h and from C to D 40 km/h. The whole journey took 6 hours.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In 2 hours, the car travels a distance of 60km, 120km, and 80 km respectively so the total distance traveled would be 260 km.

Physics news on Phys.org
In 2 hours, the car travels a distance of 60km, 120km, and 80 km respectively so the total distance traveled would be 260 km.

It is not correct. The time interval between A to B, B to C and C to D is not equal.

Find the average velocity from A to D. The distance traveled = The average velocity x time.

Either there's something I'm missing or the above problem cannot be solved using only what you wrote.

there's no way to calculate the average velocity since it's unknown how long was spent in each section or the distance traveled in each section...

Are you sure there wasn't additional data?

rl.bhat said:

It is not correct. The time interval between A to B, B to C and C to D is not equal.

Find the average velocity from A to D. The distance traveled = The average velocity x time.

Do i sum up all the velocities and divide them by 3

ie (80+60+120)/3 ?

thereddevils said:
Find the distance traveled by the car from point A to D. From A to B, the car travels at an average speed of 30 km/h, from B to C, 60 km/h and from C to D 40 km/h. The whole journey took 6 hours.
Are you posting the problem exactly as it was given? As Isiudor points out, there does not seem to be sufficient information to solve it.

For example:
A to B for one hour (30 km), B to C for one hour (60 km), C to D for four hours (160 km); total distance = 250 km.

On the other hand:
A to B for two hours (60 km), B to C for one hour (60 km), C to D for three hours (120 km); total distance = 240 km.

There are an infinite number of solutions.

Doc Al said:
Are you posting the problem exactly as it was given? As Isiudor points out, there does not seem to be sufficient information to solve it.

For example:
A to B for one hour (30 km), B to C for one hour (60 km), C to D for four hours (160 km); total distance = 250 km.

On the other hand:
A to B for two hours (60 km), B to C for one hour (60 km), C to D for three hours (120 km); total distance = 240 km.

There are an infinite number of solutions.

yeah that's the question given, except for the description of the journey. The original question says go up the slope, then going down ... i just used A,B,C,D to replace them for convnience.

Maybe i am expected to give anyone of the infinite solutions.

i'd say post the original question. You might be missing out some crucial implicit information (perhaps like acceleration due to gravity and stuff).

arkofnoah said:
i'd say post the original question. You might be missing out some crucial implicit information (perhaps like acceleration due to gravity and stuff).

ok i will repost the complete question when i get my question paper back.

1. How is the distance travelled by car from A to D calculated?

The distance travelled by car from A to D is typically calculated by using a mapping software or app, which calculates the shortest route between the two points and provides an estimated distance based on the roads and highways used.

2. What factors can affect the distance travelled by car from A to D?

There are several factors that can affect the distance travelled by car from A to D, including the route taken, traffic conditions, road closures or construction, and any detours or alternate routes that may be necessary.

3. Can the distance travelled by car from A to D be different depending on the type of vehicle?

Yes, the distance travelled by car from A to D can vary depending on the type of vehicle being used. Factors such as fuel efficiency, size and weight of the vehicle, and driving habits can all impact the final distance travelled.

4. Is the distance travelled by car from A to D the same as the distance "as the crow flies"?

No, the distance travelled by car from A to D will typically be longer than the distance "as the crow flies". This is because a car needs to follow roads and highways, which are not always a straight line between two points.

5. How accurate are the estimated distances provided by mapping software?

The estimated distances provided by mapping software are typically accurate, but they should be used as a guide rather than an exact measurement. Factors such as traffic, road conditions, and detours may affect the actual distance travelled, so it is always best to leave some extra time for unexpected delays.