*11th grade chemistry* help

• Thread starter bigDee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the problem is to determine the volume of a balloon when it is fully cooled in a refrigerator. The initial temperature of the balloon is 22° C and the volume is 0.5 liters. The formula to convert from Celsius to Kelvin is "C° + 273.15". By using Charles' Law, the correct volume of the balloon when it is fully cooled in the refrigerator is 0.53247 liters. The mistake was not using Charles' Law in the initial calculation.
bigDee
The temperature inside my refrigerator is about 4° celsius. If I place a balloon in my fridge that initially had a temperature of 22° C and a volume of 0.5 liters, what will be the volume of the balloon when it is fully cooled in my refrigerator?

Ok now the problem I have here is that the teacher says to always convert C to kelvin (i think that's it). And the formula for that is "C° + 273.15". So well uhhh I don't know what my problem is but I have a feeling I didnt do this right. I got V = .53247 liters. Is that right?

What I did was multiplied 295.15 (which is 22° C in kelvin) by 0.5 liters. I got 147.575. So I divided 147.575 by 277.15 (which is 4° C in kelvin) which got me .53247 liters.

Please help cause I just got to know how to do this so I can do the other 20 or so problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you're showing that the balloon expands as it gets colder? I don't think so.

How you work this rather depends on what you were taught. You can do it with the Ideal Gas Law (assuming pressure remains constant), or you could try Charles' Law:

http://members.aol.com/profchm/charles.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah my bad I got it working now. I forgot to use Charles law lol.

1. What topics are usually covered in 11th grade chemistry?

In 11th grade chemistry, students typically cover topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, gas laws, solutions, acids and bases, and organic chemistry. They may also learn about thermodynamics, reaction kinetics, and electrochemistry.

2. What are some common challenges students face in 11th grade chemistry?

Some common challenges students face in 11th grade chemistry include understanding abstract concepts, applying mathematical calculations, and memorizing large amounts of information. Additionally, some students may struggle with the hands-on laboratory work or with understanding the complex terminology used in chemistry.

3. How can I improve my grades in 11th grade chemistry?

Improving grades in 11th grade chemistry requires consistent effort and practice. Make sure to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, and ask questions when you don't understand something. Additionally, try to actively engage with the material by completing practice problems and reviewing your notes regularly. Consider seeking additional help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

4. What are some good study strategies for 11th grade chemistry?

Effective study strategies for 11th grade chemistry include creating study guides, using flashcards to memorize key terms and equations, and practicing problem-solving. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to review material and discuss challenging concepts together. Additionally, make sure to stay organized and manage your time effectively to stay on top of assignments and studying.

5. What career opportunities are available for students who excel in 11th grade chemistry?

Students who excel in 11th grade chemistry may pursue careers in various fields such as chemical engineering, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and research. They may also choose to continue their education in college and pursue degrees in chemistry, biochemistry, or other related fields. Chemistry is a versatile subject that can open up many career opportunities for those who have a strong understanding and interest in it.