What do I want to be when I grow up?

• Thread starter mstrixie16
  • Start date
In summary, when applying to graduate school, it is important to have a good understanding of the direction you want to go into, but it is not necessary to be 100% certain. Many schools offer the opportunity to explore different fields during the first year of coursework. It is also helpful to take a diverse range of courses and attend departmental colloquia to get a better understanding of different subjects. Reading articles and speaking with experts can also provide valuable insight. Ultimately, it is common for individuals to make choices based on the best options available to them at the time.
mstrixie16
I am a junior in undergrad and I'm getting to the point that I will need to decide what I want to do when I grow up. So since I was a little girl I wanted to be an astrophysicist. My research is in astrophysics, I work in the planetarium and observatory, and I still really love the subject. The thing is other areas of physics interest me too, especially nuclear physics.

Will I need to figure it out before applying to grad programs? If so, any tips on how to figure it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, you need to have a good feeling for the direction you want to go into when you apply to graduate school, but you don't have to be 100% certain. In some schools, you spend your first year doing coursework and don't have to decide on a supervisor/thesis topic right away. Others base their admissions on who's going into what fields.

There's no perfect test for figuring this out. Most people meander through the system making choices among the best options available to them at the time, in my experience.

What I think is important is to make sure in your upper graduate years that you take a diverse range of courses so that you're exposed to subjects that you're interested in. Of course this isn't easy when you're interested in everything, but it gives you a better basis for a decision then sticking to a narrow range of subjects.

Also important is attending departmental colloquia. Often, the bulk of these talks fly over the heads of undergrads, but in most cases the introduction should be set up to introduce the field, the relevance of the problem being studied, and the approach that's used to solve it. Take the opportunity to chat with speakers after their talks - even if all you ask are questions like: How do you enjoy this field? or Where will this field be going in the future?

When I was a grad student a small group of us organized a series of talks aimed at undergrads with the specific idea being that the talks were meant to introduce a given field and the research at an approachable level. There's no reason why you couldn't do something similar.

Finally read. Try to read through review articles, or articles in journals like Physics Today or Science or Nature.

1. What are some factors to consider when deciding what career to pursue?

Some factors to consider when deciding what career to pursue include your interests, skills, values, and job market demand. It's important to choose a career that aligns with your passions and strengths, as well as one that has potential for growth and stability.

2. How can I explore different career options?

One way to explore different career options is through informational interviews with professionals in various fields. You can also attend career fairs, job shadowing opportunities, and internships to gain hands-on experience and learn more about different industries.

3. Is it important to have a specific career goal in mind?

While having a specific career goal can provide direction and motivation, it's also okay to be open to exploring different paths and finding your passion along the way. It's important to have a general idea of what you want to do, but also be flexible and open to new opportunities.

4. What if I change my mind about my career choice?

It's completely normal and common to change your mind about your career choice. As you gain more experience and learn more about yourself, your interests and goals may shift. It's important to be open to change and continue to explore different options until you find the right fit.

5. How can I prepare for my future career?

To prepare for your future career, you can focus on developing your skills, gaining relevant experience, and networking with professionals in your desired field. It's also important to continue learning and staying updated on industry trends and advancements.