Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics

In summary, the speaker has a bachelor's degree in civil engineering but has decided to pursue a second bachelor's degree in physics due to their interest in astrophysics. However, there are no programs available in their city or country for them to study astronomy. They are seeking guidance on how to learn astrophysics without access to an observatory or lab, and whether it is too late for them to pursue their dream. The speaker also raises concerns about employment prospects and the potential to receive credit for their previous coursework. They are also considering the option of studying abroad but may face financial challenges.
andrew_physics
I have a bachelor of civil engineering already. I have thought for 1 year and I decided to enroll for the second bachelor's degree in Physics. I have a lot of interest in Astrophysics but there are no Astronomy related programs in my city in my country (I am somewhere in Southeast Asia). My goal is I want to pursue further Ph.D. in Astrophysics/Theoretical Physics-related program and become full-time research in Physics.

The problem is there is no professor in Astrophysics in my current college. So I should learn all of it by myself while studying Physics at the college.

I wanted to have general advice and guideline.
Is it possible to learn Astrophysics without observatory/lab?
Is there any online/virtual observatory that I could do Astronomy related things?

After all, is it late for me to pursue my dream?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before you do all that what are the employment prospects for someone with a Ph.D. in Astrophysics/Theoretical Physics in your country? If there are limited programs available it would appear that there may not be much demand for someone with qualifications in those fields. What do you plan to do once you complete your degree?

Can you afford traveling to a foreign country to study astrophysics/theoretical physics there?

What is a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics"?

A "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics" is a postgraduate degree program that allows individuals who have already earned a bachelor's degree in a different field to pursue a second bachelor's degree in Physics. This program is designed for students who want to change their career path or gain additional knowledge and skills in the field of Physics.

What are the requirements for a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics"?

The specific requirements for a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics" may vary depending on the university or college offering the program. However, most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a different field, preferably with a strong foundation in mathematics and science courses. Some programs may also require applicants to have a minimum GPA and to pass an entrance exam.

What can I do with a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics"?

With a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics", you can pursue a career in various fields such as research, engineering, education, and healthcare. You can also continue your education and pursue a graduate degree in Physics or a related field. Additionally, the critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills gained from this degree can be applied to many different industries and job roles.

How long does it take to complete a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics"?

The duration of a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics" program typically ranges from 2 to 3 years, depending on the university or college offering the program and the student's course load. Some programs may also offer an accelerated track for students who have already completed some prerequisite courses.

Is a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics" worth it?

The value of a "Second Bachelor's Degree in Physics" ultimately depends on your personal and career goals. If you are passionate about Physics and want to pursue a career in this field, then this degree can be highly beneficial. It can also open up new career opportunities and increase your earning potential. However, it is essential to carefully consider the time, effort, and financial investment required for this degree before making a decision.