Jump into the Field of Remote Control (RC): How Difficult?

In summary, it is fairly easy to jump into the field of RC. You can find modules for IR and RF remote controls on the internet.
Peavey
Since I last posted here, I've experimented with small DC motors, parallel and series circuits, messed with my electronic-building kit, and even did a little Job Shadowing (temporary internship) at a local electrical engineering place for school. I definitely want to make this into a profession later on in life (as I'm graduating high school in 13 days! Woot! lol.) Anyways, I was wondering, how difficult is it to jump into the field of RC? I'm not saying that I want to start building items such as RC airplanes or cars, but just study say like, having a switch that turns on a motor a foot away or so.

Thanks,
Peavey.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section or doesn't comply with the rules.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Peavey said:
Since I last posted here, I've experimented with small DC motors, parallel and series circuits, messed with my electronic-building kit, and even did a little Job Shadowing (temporary internship) at a local electrical engineering place for school. I definitely want to make this into a profession later on in life (as I'm graduating high school in 13 days! Woot! lol.) Anyways, I was wondering, how difficult is it to jump into the field of RC? I'm not saying that I want to start building items such as RC airplanes or cars, but just study say like, having a switch that turns on a motor a foot away or so.

Thanks,
Peavey.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong section or doesn't comply with the rules.

Congrats on the graduation! :biggrin:

There are basically two remote technologys that you can play with -- IR and RF.

IR is probably simpler to start with, since you can see all of the waveforms with even a basic oscilloscope. You can buy modules for the transmit and receive parts -- they are basically the guts of TV remote controls and the receivers used in the TVs.

You can also get the modules for RF remote control, like are used in RC cars and planes. I'm guessing that they might be a bit more expensive than the simpler IR remote control modules, but I'm not sure.

You should be able to find both types of modules with a Google search. Let us know what you find!

There are a number of opportunities for jobs in remote control. Infrared remote controls are so common that building one amounts to little more than connecting a battery, keypad and LED to an IC. Radio remote controls are considerably more sophisticated. With radio remote controls you generally want a control that is sufficiently encoded so that stay signals can neither cause false operation nor jam the signal you are sending.

My first job out of college was with a company that made radio controls for industrial cranes. Since that is a very safety intensive operation, the controls had to be absolutely fail safe and there is a lot of design that goes into accomplishing that. Beyond that there are many applications and many more to come where radio controls are useful.

Thanks for the replies.

My original idea for this was actually having a small remote control to control my fan's on/off. That's it. Not the speeds of the fan, just on/off. However, as of right now, that is just an idea. As I mentioned in the first post, all I wanted to do was have a switch that controls a 1.5V-3V DC Motor about 1-2 feet away. If I were to search for a schematic, what for and where (besides google) should I search for? I also plan on using IR.

Peavey

1. What is the learning curve for becoming proficient in RC technology?

The learning curve for becoming proficient in RC technology depends on the individual's prior experience and aptitude. For someone who is new to RC, it may take a few weeks to learn the basics and become comfortable with the controls. However, for someone with prior experience in RC or similar technologies, it may take less time to become proficient.

2. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to operate RC devices?

Basic knowledge of electronics and mechanics can be helpful in understanding how RC devices work, but it is not necessary to have any specific skills or knowledge. With practice and patience, anyone can learn to operate RC devices.

3. Is it difficult to find replacement parts for RC devices?

In most cases, replacement parts for RC devices are readily available online or at hobby stores. However, it may be more challenging to find specific parts for older or less popular models. It is always a good idea to research the availability of replacement parts before purchasing an RC device.

4. Are RC devices difficult to maintain?

Like any technology, RC devices require regular maintenance to keep them in good working condition. This may include cleaning, lubrication, and occasional repairs. However, with proper care and maintenance, RC devices can last for a long time.

5. How can I improve my skills in the field of RC?

The best way to improve your skills in RC is to practice regularly and learn from experienced hobbyists. There are also online forums and communities where you can ask for advice and tips. Attending RC events and competitions can also help you gain more knowledge and experience in the field.