What Is the Maximum Speed of the Particle and When Is It Reached?

• Thread starter Easy_as_Pi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary: And the position vector r(t) gives the position of the particle at time t. So at t=0, the particle is at the point <0,1,0>.In summary, a student is seeking help with a problem involving the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle in a plane. They have taken the derivative of the position to find the velocity and the derivative of the velocity to find the acceleration. However, they are unsure of how to find the particle's highest speed and when and where it reaches this speed. With the help of a forum member, they are able to find the expression for speed, maximize it, and determine that the particle's highest speed occurs at t=0 with a value of sqrt(2
Easy_as_Pi
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster. Already answered questions on this forum have managed to help me out immensely in calc 1 and 2, but I am truly stumped on this problem o.0 Thanks in advance for your time!

Homework Statement

The position of a particle in the plane at time t is
r(t) = t/sqrt(1+t^2)i + 1/sqrt(1+t^2)j + tk
What is the particle's highest speed. When and where does it reach this speed?

Homework Equations

Speed = magnitude of velocity vector
velocity = derivative of position vector
acceleration = derivative of velocity vector

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I took the derivative of r(t), and got velocity equal to the following vector
<1/(t^2+1)^3/2 i, -t/(1+t^2)^3/2 j, 1k>
I then took the derivative of velocity to get acceleration, which I found to be:
a(t) = <-3t/(t^2+1)^5/2 i, (2t^2-1)/(t^2+1)^5/2 j, 0 k>

I know I need the zeroes of this, because they will be the maximum / minimum values for my velocity. So, I set each part (i,j,k) equal to 0 and solved. I don't think this is right, however. My answers were 0 and 1/4 for t. With 0 being my minimum and 1/4 being the max. If I plug 1/4 in for t in the v(t) equation and find the magnitude I get speed being equal to sqrt(1273)/27. I'm not sure about the where and when? Would that just be the velocity vector at time t (vector gives where, t gives when)?

Sorry for the lack of latex, I tried to use it, but couldn't get my work to format right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to the forums as a first time poster. It's not necessarily true that the maximum of speed happens at a point where the acceleration is zero. Besides, your acceleration vector is never zero. Forget the acceleration and just get an expression for speed and maximize it.

Last edited:

Hey Dick, thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean get an expression for the speed and maximize it? I'm sorry if some of these questions are silly, but I'm taking this class in summer session, and just started a few days ago. That, coupled with barely being able to understand my professor is making this course a bit of an uphill battle.
I know speed is the magnitude of velocity vector. So, sqrt(1/(t^2+1)^3 + t^2/(1+t^2)^3 + 1). Then take the derivative of this and find it's zeroes? I found a thread where you explained how to find the minimum and am trying to base my answer off that. When I take the derivative of the velocity magnitude I get: -4t/(t^2+1)^3. This results in -4t=0...is there something I'm missing here?

You've got the right idea. But I don't get the same expression for the derivative of velocity magnitude you do. |r'(t)|=sqrt(1+1/(t^2+1)^2), right? You can find the max of that by inspection. What you did is find the derivative of |r'(t)|^2=1+1/(t^2+1)^2 Which is actually perfectly ok, if you see why. Either way you do it you get an extreme point at t=0.

Ah wow, I went through too quickly and made a dumb algebra mistake. I didn't cancel out the t^2+1, and instead went on to make the equation more complicated than it needed to be. I tripped myself up. After reworking, I got the same answer as you. This just confuses me a bit: how can a particle be at it's maximum speed when time is 0?

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated. I spent a good while with my classmate trying to figure this one out, and we were stumped.

Easy_as_Pi said:
Ah wow, I went through too quickly and made a dumb algebra mistake. I didn't cancel out the t^2+1, and instead went on to make the equation more complicated than it needed to be. I tripped myself up. After reworking, I got the same answer as you. This just confuses me a bit: how can a particle be at it's maximum speed when time is 0?

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated. I spent a good while with my classmate trying to figure this one out, and we were stumped.

The speed at t=0 is sqrt(2), right? At t=+/-1 it's sqrt(5/4). That's less. I'm not sure why it should be confusing that you have a max at t=0.

Hey again. I'm not having any issues with the computation of it. I see why mathematically t=0 is the max, it's the conceptual part that I'm lost on. I just don't see how a particle could be moving, let alone at it's max speed when time, technically, hasn't started moving yet (t=0)?

Easy_as_Pi said:
Hey again. I'm not having any issues with the computation of it. I see why mathematically t=0 is the max, it's the conceptual part that I'm lost on. I just don't see how a particle could be moving, let alone at it's max speed when time, technically, hasn't started moving yet (t=0)?

Why can't it be moving at t=0? t=0 is just a point in time like any other. There's nothing special about t=0.

Related to What Is the Maximum Speed of the Particle and When Is It Reached?

1. What is meant by "particle's highest speed"?

"Particle's highest speed" refers to the maximum velocity that a particle can reach. It is the fastest speed that the particle can travel at.

2. How is the particle's highest speed determined?

The particle's highest speed can be determined through experiments and calculations. Scientists can use tools such as accelerometers and particle detectors to measure the velocity of the particle and analyze the data to determine its highest speed.

3. Can the particle's highest speed change?

Yes, the particle's highest speed can change depending on various factors such as the particle's mass, energy, and the environment it is in. For example, a particle may have a higher speed in a vacuum compared to when it is in a medium like air.

4. Why is it important to find a particle's highest speed?

Knowing a particle's highest speed is important for understanding its properties and behavior. It can also provide valuable information for various fields of science, such as particle physics and astrophysics.

5. Are there any limitations to finding a particle's highest speed?

Yes, there are limitations to finding a particle's highest speed. One limitation is the accuracy of the measuring tools and techniques used. Another limitation is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and velocity of a particle at the same time.