Solve for matrix problem

• Thread starter Chuck37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the problem involves a set of equations with an unknown square matrix and different vectors and scalars in each equation. It is possible to solve for the matrix if the vectors can be chosen freely, but there is no easy shortcut and n^2 equations are needed to solve the linear system.
Chuck37
Not sure what to call this problem, but say I have a bunch of equations like this:

v1'*M*v1 = c1
v2'*M*v2 = c2

M is an unknown square matrix and is the same in every equation. v is a vector and c is a scalar, these are different in each equation. I can have as many of these as I need. Is there a clever way to solve for M? I wrote out the 2x2 case and can solve it if I take apart M, but I'd like a more elegant extensible solution if one exists.

I hope my question makes sense. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can choose the ##v_i## at your will, then you can take ##v_i=(0,\ldots,0,1,0,\ldots,0)=(\delta_{ij})_j## which gives you the diagonal. But there is no easy shortcut. If you only have these equations, then you need ##n^2## of them to solve your linear equation system
$$
c^{(m)} = \sum_{i,j} v_i^{(m)}X_{ij}v_j^{(m)} \text{ where } M=(X_{ij})_{i,j}
$$
Of course, with specific choices of the ##v_i## you can simplify it, otherwise you cannot.

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in problem solving?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is used in problem solving to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. How do you solve for a matrix problem?

To solve for a matrix problem, you first need to identify the type of problem (e.g. finding the inverse, solving a system of equations, etc.). Then, you can use various techniques such as row operations, determinants, and matrix multiplication to manipulate the given matrix and find the solution.

3. What are the basic operations that can be performed on matrices?

The basic operations that can be performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow specific rules and properties, and they are used to manipulate matrices in order to solve problems.

4. What are some real-life applications of matrix problem solving?

Matrix problem solving has many real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, data analysis, optimization problems, and cryptography. Matrices are also used in the fields of economics, biology, and social sciences to model and solve complex systems.

5. Are there any tips for effectively solving matrix problems?

Yes, some tips for effectively solving matrix problems include understanding the properties and rules of matrix operations, practicing with different types of problems, and using visualization techniques to better understand the problem at hand. It is also important to check your work and be careful with calculations to avoid errors.