Simple harmonic motion problem

In summary, in a block-spring system with a block of mass m and a spring of spring constant k, the angular velocity ω of the block is equal to (k/m)^(1/2). This can be proven using Newton's law of F = ma and Hooke's law of F = -kx, and integrating the SHM equation to find the derivative of x with respect to time. A mistake in the integration by the chain rule can lead to an incorrect solution, but the correct solution can be found by differentiating x twice and comparing terms.
Silimay
In a block-spring system with a block of mass m and a spring of spring constant k, prove that the angular velocity ω of the block = (k/m)^(1/2).

I can prove this easily in the following manner:

F = ma Newton's law
F = -kx Hooke's law
a = -ω^2x
ma = -kx = -mω^2x
k = mω^2
ω^2 = (k/m)
ω = (k/m)^(1/2)

But when I try to prove it using calculus (as my teacher instructed me to do) something goes wrong:

F = ma
F = -kx
X = Acos(ωt + φ) SHM
F = ma = -kx = -kAcos(ωt + φ)

I integrated to get:

mv = -kωAsin(ωt + φ)

Did I do something wrong here? I kept integrating (so that there was a ω^2 term on the right side) and substitued for x = Acos(ωt + φ) and canceled out x; but then I got ω = (m/k)^1/2. I don't understand why---is there a flaw in the math somewhere? I think I can probably do the proof by simply integrating the SHM equation and substituting it for acceleration, but I'd like to know what I did wrong above.

Thanks for any help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
You messed up your integral. What you've found is the derivative without the negative sign.

What's easier is to realize that a = [itex] \Ddot{x}[/itex], and then just differentiate x twice with respect to time and plug it in for a, then compare terms.

--J

Thanks! I didn't realize I was integrating with the chain rule :-) I have to do integration by substitution.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

2. How do you calculate the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and periodic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion, but not all periodic motion is simple harmonic. Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a constant amplitude and a constant period, while other types of periodic motion may have varying amplitudes and periods.

4. Can the amplitude of simple harmonic motion be changed?

Yes, the amplitude of simple harmonic motion can be changed by changing the initial displacement of the object or by changing the initial velocity of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a pendulum, the motion of a mass attached to a spring, and the motion of a vibrating guitar string.