Michelson interferometer fringes

In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of fringes in the Michelson interferometer. It is explained that the bullseye pattern of fringes can be seen by diverging the laser beam with a lens. This pattern occurs due to the difference in path lengths and phase differences of the light rays arriving via the two mirrors. When the mirrors are equal distances, there is complete constructive interference and a solid spot is seen without fringes.
Goodver
Since 2 splitted beams meet at ONE spot later on, we have just one beam which flows to the detector, therefore I expect to see just one light spot, where the BRIGHTNESS is changing depending on at which phase 2 beams meet. Pattern with fringes happens when we have multiple sources, like Young's experiment or difraction grating.

why we have fringes here if there is only one source?

Attachments

• tmp_selection591173773.png
    tmp_selection591173773.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, if you set up the interferometer using a narrow laser beam that produces only a single spot on the screen when the mirrors are aligned properly, we see what you describe: a single spot that changes brightness as you change one of the path lengths by moving one of the mirrors back and forth.

To see the "bullseye" pattern of fringes, you have to diverge the beam by placing a lens in front of the laser.

Thanks jybell! I am still confused thought, since there is not diffraction, how come such a pattern can occur? If you diverge the beam, it becomes just less intense right?

Last edited:
Goodver said:
since there is not diffraction, how come such a pattern can occur?

Are you thinking of the circular-aperture diffraction pattern?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/cirapp2.html#c1

The circular pattern in the Michelson interferometer is not from diffraction. As you move away from the center of the pattern, the difference between the path lengths for the light rays arriving via the two mirrors changes, and so does the phase difference. You can see this even with a single laser-spot on the screen, if you tilt both of the mirrors slightly so the spot moves away from the center of the pattern, while keeping the two reflected spots together.

If you expand the beam so you can see the entire pattern, and then move one of the mirrors gradually: the rings either expand gradually, with new rings being "created" at the center; or they contract gradually, with rings "disappearing" at the center. The center of the pattern also changes its position.

Last edited:
is my drawing correct? So we expend the beam, that the pattern widens as we move the screen further, thus from two source images the distance to particular spot differs as we go to the side from the center? (i hope you know what i mean)

does this means, that again if we put 2 mirrors at equal disances, two source images get close and merge => when the distances to the mirrors are equal we see just tne solid spot without rings?

Attachments

• tmp_selection968794650.png
    tmp_selection968794650.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 595
Goodver said:
is my drawing correct? So we expend the beam, that the pattern widens as we move the screen further, thus from two source images the distance to particular spot differs as we go to the side from the center? (i hope you know what i mean)

Yes, I think you've got it about right. Let the two "virtual sources" be separated by distance d = m0λ (where m0 is an integer), and let the distance to the screen be L. It's a nice exercise to derive the radius r of the m'th ring from the center. (Assume r << L so you can use some simplifying approximations.)

does this means, that again if we put 2 mirrors at equal disances, two source images get close and merge => when the distances to the mirrors are equal we see just tne solid spot without rings?

Basically, yes. You have complete constructive interference. The size of the "spot" is limited only by the geometry of your system: the size of the mirrors and maybe other things.

Thank you jtbell!

1. What is a Michelson interferometer?

A Michelson interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small changes in the position of mirrors or other optical components. It uses the principles of interference to create patterns of light and dark fringes, which can be analyzed to determine the magnitude and direction of the changes being measured.

2. How does a Michelson interferometer work?

A Michelson interferometer consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a light source. The beam splitter divides the incoming light into two beams, which travel to the mirrors and are reflected back to the beam splitter. When the two beams recombine, they interfere with each other, creating an interference pattern. This pattern is then observed and analyzed to make measurements.

3. What are fringes in a Michelson interferometer?

Fringes are the light and dark patterns that are created when the two beams of light in a Michelson interferometer interfere with each other. The position and spacing of the fringes can be used to determine the changes in the position of the mirrors or other optical components being measured.

4. How are Michelson interferometer fringes used in scientific research?

Michelson interferometer fringes are used in a variety of scientific fields, including astronomy, optics, and materials science. They are used to make precise measurements of small changes in position, such as the movement of stars or the expansion of materials under stress. They can also be used to measure the refractive index of materials and to analyze the composition of gases.

5. What are some limitations of using a Michelson interferometer?

One limitation of using a Michelson interferometer is that it requires a stable light source and precise alignment of the optical components. Any changes in the light source or misalignment of the mirrors can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, Michelson interferometers are sensitive to vibrations and environmental factors, so they are typically used in controlled laboratory settings.