Michelson interferometer dimensions

In summary, The conversation is about designing a Michelson interferometer device for measuring small distance movement. The person is planning to use a laser diode with a wavelength of 635 nm and power of 3 mw. They are asking for guidance on how to determine the dimensions for the source to beam splitter, beam splitter to fixed mirror, and beam splitter to detector. They also mention that the moving mirror should be placed 35 mm from the beam splitter and ask how to choose the dimensions for the fixed mirror. The equation used in a Michelson interferometer is d = mλ/2, and the person suggests placing the fixed mirror also at 35 mm to detect any displacement in the object.
malak
hi
i want to design michelson interferometer device for measuring small distance movement
i am using laser diode with a wavelength 635 nm and power 3 mw
can anyone tell me how can i decide the dimensions (from source to beam splitter , for beam splitter to fixed mirror , from beam splitter to detector )
knowing that the moving mirror should be placed 35 mm from beam splitter (the tested object position )
also how can i choose the fixed mirror dimensions ?
regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the equation used in michelson interferometer is

d = mλ/2

so then I will put my fixed mirror also at 35 mm, if there are a displacement in the object there will be a differences in the amount of fringes

1. What is the purpose of a Michelson interferometer?

The Michelson interferometer is an instrument used in optics to measure the wavelength of light, or to measure small changes in the length of an object. It works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, then recombining them to produce an interference pattern, which can be analyzed to determine the properties of the light or object being measured.

2. What are the main components of a Michelson interferometer?

The main components of a Michelson interferometer include a light source, a beamsplitter, two mirrors, and a detector. The light source emits a beam of light, which is then split into two paths by the beamsplitter. Each path contains a mirror, which reflects the light back toward the beamsplitter. The beamsplitter then recombines the two paths, and the interference pattern is detected by the detector.

3. How does the length of the interferometer arms affect the interference pattern?

The length of the interferometer arms determines the path difference between the two beams of light, which in turn affects the interference pattern. If the arms are equal in length, the interference pattern will be a series of bright and dark fringes. If one arm is longer than the other, the fringe pattern will shift. By measuring this shift, the length of the object being measured can be determined.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a Michelson interferometer measurement?

The accuracy of a Michelson interferometer measurement can be affected by several factors, including the stability of the light source, the quality of the mirrors and beamsplitter, and any external vibrations or movements that may disrupt the interferometer arms. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain accurate measurements.

5. How can the dimensions of a Michelson interferometer be optimized for specific applications?

The dimensions of a Michelson interferometer can be optimized for specific applications by adjusting the length of the interferometer arms, the angle of the beamsplitter, and the position of the detector. These adjustments can be made based on the desired wavelength of light to be measured, the sensitivity needed for the measurement, and other factors specific to the application. Additionally, using high-quality components and minimizing external disturbances can also help optimize the interferometer's performance.