Obtain the resistance of a ntc thermistor

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the resistance of a ntc thermistor with only the temperature and a given characteristic temperature of 3900K. The equation R = A.e^(B/T) is mentioned, which may involve natural logarithms. The question then asks for the resistance at a specific temperature and the conversation ends with a suggestion to try with the assumption of a linear relationship and a ratio.
Sparky2020
Please Help!

HI.
Im really struggling to work out how to obtain the resistance of a ntc thermistor from just having the temperature. I've been given the characteristic temp. of 3900K, labelled B for some reason. the only equation i can find to use is R = A.e to the power of B/T. I think this is somwthing to do with the base of natural logarithms, but when i asked my lecturer, he said no knowledge of logs was needed.
Please help!

Thank you loads in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any more information?

The question asks that if the ntc thermistor has a resistance of 47 ohms at 20 degrees celsius, and its characteristic temp is 3900K then what is its resistance at 100 degrees celsius?
I can't even find a suitable equation which relates its resistance to its temperature.

I am going to guess here because I don't actually know. I'm guessing the resistance is 0 at the characteristic temperature. Perhaps you know about that. I will also assume a linear relationship. If it isn't linear, you need more information anyhow.

Assuming this, it's a ratio. Actually, I'll let you work it out rather. Try with these assumptions.

1. What is a NTC thermistor?

A NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that exhibits a decrease in resistance as the temperature increases. It is made of a semiconductor material and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. How do you obtain the resistance of a NTC thermistor?

The resistance of a NTC thermistor can be obtained by using a multimeter or ohmmeter. The thermistor is connected to the meter and the reading is taken at a specific temperature. The resistance value can also be calculated using the Steinhart-Hart equation, which takes into account the temperature and material properties of the thermistor.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a NTC thermistor?

The resistance of a NTC thermistor is primarily affected by temperature, as it is designed to change in response to temperature. Other factors that can influence the resistance include the type of material used, the size and shape of the thermistor, and the physical environment it is in.

4. Can the resistance of a NTC thermistor be calibrated?

Yes, the resistance of a NTC thermistor can be calibrated to ensure accurate temperature readings. This can be done using known temperature references and adjusting the resistance values accordingly. It is important to note that the resistance-temperature relationship of a thermistor can vary between individual sensors, so calibration is necessary for precise measurements.

5. What are the applications of NTC thermistors?

NTC thermistors are commonly used in temperature sensing and control applications, such as in household appliances, automotive systems, and medical devices. They can also be used for temperature compensation in electronic circuits and as part of thermal protection systems. Additionally, NTC thermistors are used in scientific research for measuring and monitoring temperature changes.