The resistance of a thermistor

I've merged your threads, as they're both basically the same question. Thank you.If you can't use a calculator, have you tried pencil and paper?In summary, the resistance of a thermistor over a range of temperature can be calculated using the formula R=c/(T-203), where c is a constant and T is the absolute temperature. To find the temperature on the centigrade scale at an absolute temperature of T=300k, one must convert from Kelvin to Celsius by using the formula T_{300} = \frac {R_{300} -R_{273} } {R_{373} -R_{273} } \times {100^o C}.
Mishal666

Homework Statement

The resistance of thermistor over a limit range of temperature is given by equation R=c/(T-203). Where c is constant ant T is absolute temperature. What would be temperature on centigrade scale of thermistor at absolute temperature T=300k?

Homework Equations

i)R=c/(T-203)

ii) see pic

The Attempt at a Solution

See pic

But the answer is 47.3 degree. I don't know where am I doing this wrong. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, your picture is not readable. Can you type your work into the forum for us to check? Thank you. :smile:

I agree with the starting formulae:

##R_{300}=\frac {c} {97} \ \ \ R_{273}=\frac {c} {70} \ \ \ R_{373}=\frac {c} {170}##

and θ or ##T_{300} = \frac {R_{300} -R_{273} } {R_{373} -R_{273} } \times {100^o C} ##

Where it seems to go wrong is now as you put the numbers into the formula.
You seem to calculate ## \frac {R_{300} } {R_{373}} - \frac {R_{273} } {R_{273} } ##

Likes Mishal666 and berkeman
Edit: Oh! Missed a bit. ## \left ( \frac {R_{300} } {R_{373}} - \frac {R_{273} } {R_{273} } \right ) \times {100}##

Likes Mishal666
Merlin3189 said:
Edit: Oh! Missed a bit. ## \left ( \frac {R_{300} } {R_{373}} - \frac {R_{273} } {R_{273} } \right ) \times {100}##
I don't know how to solve fractions

Mishal666 said:
I don't know how to solve fractions
Are you familiar with the term "common denominator"? :smile:

Hold on a sec! The expression I wrote is the wrong method that OP did.
The correct calculation is the easy one!
Just do the sum on the top, do the sum on the bottom, then divide top by bottom and finally multiply by 100.

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with the term "common denominator"? :smile:
Yup , but I got different denominators. T300= (c/97-c/70.15 ÷ c/170.15 - c/70.15) *100

T300= (c/97-c/70.15 ÷ c/170.15 - c/70.15) *100
Just put in extra brackets T300= ( (c/97-c/70.15 ) ÷ (c/170.15 - c/70.15)) *100

I got your point. The problem is I can't solve unlike denominators.

You haven't got unlike denominators. You've got a single denominator
##T_{300} = \frac {R_{300} -R_{273} } {R_{373} -R_{273} } \times {100^o C} ##
So the denominator is simply ## \left ( R_{373} -R_{273} \right ) ##
That big horizontal line in the fraction means, take all of the top (ie. work out the top into one number) and divide by all of the bottom (after first working that out to one number.)

Merlin3189 said:
T300= ( (c/97-c/70.15 ) ÷ (c/170.15 - c/70.15)) *100
I'm not supposed to solve this equation?

I don't call that an equation: I call it a sum. Or more accurately, two takeaways, a division and a multiplication.

Most modern calculators will accept that as it's written, so long as you put in the correct brackets, or the big horizontal line.

I don't want to be unsympathetic, but I'm not sure how you can use any formulae if you can't put the numbers into a calculator correctly. Most people have their problems trying to work out the formula, or putting the right numbers into the formula. You did all that, no problem. It's just the easy bit you fell down on!

Edit: Ahh! I just noticed why you called it an equation: You've left the c in.
What you should notice is that all the numbers in the fraction are multiplied by c. So it does not matter what number c is, the result will be the same. So you can just "cancel" the c's, ie. rub them out, ignore them, call them 1, whatever. Try it with say, 10c / 5c Whatever number you say c is, you get the same answer, 10/5 = 2 If you had (12c - 4c)/(5c -3c) it works the same and you get (12-4)/(5-3)=4 even if you said c was 10 it would become (120-40)/(50-30)=80/20=4
Just be careful if every number doesn't have the same letter. It wouldn't work for (10-2c)/(4c) say : that would have different answers depending on what c was.

Edit2: Blimey! It's so easy to miss things. I should have said, you can make c any number except 0. Zero just gives you 0/0 and that's useless.

Last edited:
Likes Mishal666
Mishal666 said:
What would be temperature on centigrade scale of thermistor at absolute temperature T=300k?
If the thermistor is at 300 K, then on the centigrade scale its temperature will be ... ? As per forum rules I cannot give the answer, but isn't it kinda obvious that one needs to convert from Kelvin to Celsius? I'm sorry, but am I missing something?

Likes Mishal666
Merlin3189 said:
I don't call that an equation: I call it a sum. Or more accurately, two takeaways, a division and a multiplication.

Most modern calculators will accept that as it's written, so long as you put in the correct brackets, or the big horizontal line.

I don't want to be unsympathetic, but I'm not sure how you can use any formulae if you can't put the numbers into a calculator correctly. Most people have their problems trying to work out the formula, or putting the right numbers into the formula. You did all that, no problem. It's just the easy bit you fell down on!

What you should notice is that all the numbers in the fraction are multiplied by c. So it does not matter what number c is, the result will be the same. So you can just "cancel" the c's, ie. rub them out, ignore them, call them 1, whatever. Try it with say, 10c / 5c Whatever number you say c is, you get the same answer, 10/5 = 2 If you had (12c - 4c)/(5c -3c) it works the same and you get (12-4)/(5-3)=4 even if you said c was 10 it would become (120-40)/(50-30)=80/20=4
Just be careful if every number doesn't have the same letter. It wouldn't work for (10-2c)/(4c) say : that would have different answers depending on what c was.

Edit2: Blimey! It's so easy to miss things. I should have said, you can make c any number except 0. Zero just gives you 0/0 and that's useless.
It seems helpful :)

kuruman said:
If the thermistor is at 300 K, then on the centigrade scale its temperature will be ... ? As per forum rules I cannot give the answer, but isn't it kinda obvious that one needs to convert from Kelvin to Celsius? I'm sorry, but am I missing something?
kuruman said:
i converted and got negative values. That messed up my mind.

Mishal666 said:
converted and got negative values. That messed up my mind.
Can you show your conversion and the value you got?

kuruman said:
Can you show your conversion and the value you got?
Merlin3189 said:

i got 47.1 degree. Thankyou so much

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 351

What is a thermistor?

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance changes with temperature. It is made of semiconductor materials and is commonly used in temperature sensing and control applications.

What affects the resistance of a thermistor?

The resistance of a thermistor is primarily affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance decreases and vice versa. The specific materials used to make the thermistor can also affect its resistance.

How is the resistance of a thermistor measured?

The resistance of a thermistor can be measured using a multimeter or ohmmeter. The thermistor is connected to the meter, and the resistance can be read from the display.

How does the resistance of a thermistor change with temperature?

The resistance of a thermistor follows a specific temperature-resistance curve, which varies depending on the type of thermistor. Generally, the resistance decreases exponentially as the temperature increases.

What are the applications of a thermistor?

Thermistors are commonly used in temperature sensing and control, such as in thermostats, temperature probes, and electronic thermometers. They are also used in circuits to protect against overcurrent and overvoltage conditions.