How Do You Calculate Travel Time and Distance with Stops and Varying Speeds?

• Thread starter rafael_josem
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem and the steps needed to solve it. The person helping needs more details about the issue and what steps have already been taken. They also ask for any specific error messages or codes and suggest seeking help from others or consulting resources. It is important to know if there is a deadline for finding a solution.
rafael_josem
Help, can't solve this problem...

Hi, I have the follwing problem and I don't know how to start...

A person make a trip in car with an average speed of 89.5km/h, except when the person stops 22 mins to rest. If the average speed of the person is 77.8km/h, How much time the person spends on the trip? How far the person goes?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Rafael,

Can you write 2 equations for the trip time (T), one equation from the first sentence of the problem, and one from the second?

Hope this helps,
Walter

Hi there,

I understand that you are having trouble solving this problem. It is important to first define the variables in the problem. In this case, the average speed of the person is given as 89.5km/h, but we also know that the person stops for 22 minutes during the trip. This means that the average speed is not constant throughout the entire trip.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula: Distance = Speed x Time. We know that the total distance traveled is equal to the average speed multiplied by the total time spent on the trip. However, since the average speed is not constant, we need to break the trip into two parts - the time spent driving at 89.5km/h and the time spent resting at 0km/h.

Let's call the time spent driving at 89.5km/h as t1 and the time spent resting as 22 minutes or 0.367 hours. We can then set up the following equation: Distance = (89.5km/h x t1) + (0km/h x 0.367h). We can simplify this to Distance = 89.5t1.

Next, we know that the average speed for the entire trip is 77.8km/h, which means that the total distance traveled is also equal to (77.8km/h x total time). We can set up another equation: Distance = 77.8 x total time.

Now, we have two equations for distance, so we can set them equal to each other: 89.5t1 = 77.8 x total time. We also know that the total time is equal to the time spent driving (t1) plus the time spent resting (0.367h). We can substitute this into the equation: 89.5t1 = 77.8(t1 + 0.367).

Solving for t1, we get t1 = 0.622 hours. This is the time spent driving at 89.5km/h. To find the total time, we add the time spent resting (0.367h) to this, giving us a total time of 0.989 hours.

To find the total distance traveled, we can plug in the value of t1 into the equation Distance = 89.5t1. This gives us a distance of 55.7km.

Therefore, the person spent 0.989

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Travel Time and Distance with Stops and Varying Speeds?

1. Can you explain the problem in more detail?

In order to help solve your problem, it would be helpful to have a thorough understanding of the issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so I can accurately assess the situation.

2. What steps have you already taken to try and solve the problem?

It's important to know what you have already tried so I don't suggest a solution that you have already attempted. Please share any steps or strategies you have already taken.

3. Can you provide any specific error messages or codes?

If you are receiving any error messages or codes, please include them in your explanation. This can give valuable insight into the problem and help us find a solution.

4. Have you consulted any resources or asked for help from others?

Sometimes, seeking help from others or consulting resources can provide valuable insights and solutions. If you haven't already, it may be beneficial to ask for assistance from colleagues or consult online resources related to your problem.

5. Is there a deadline for solving this problem?

If there is a specific timeline or deadline for solving this problem, please let me know so I can prioritize finding a solution. It's important to have a clear understanding of the urgency of the issue.

Back