Travel time for an accelerating car

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the time it takes for a car to speed up, reach a speed limit of 50km/h, drive at that speed for 30s, and then come to a complete stop with a negative acceleration of 3.0m/s². The calculations done by the speaker suggest that it would take approximately 37.4 seconds for the car to go through this process. The other person in the conversation confirms that the calculation seems correct.
Irukandji
Hi guys,

i hope i find the right Sub-Forum. Can you please tell me if i calculated it right.

A car speed's up with 5 m/s² to a speed limit of 50Km/h. After it arrived the speedlimit it drives for 30s with the speed of 50km/h. After that it break with a negative acceleration 3.0m/s² to stop the car. How many time it need from start to stop?

My calculation:

(50km/h) : 3,6 = 13,9 m/s

first step:

t = v/a
t= 13,9m/s : 5m/s² = 2,8s

second:

t= 30s

third:

t= v/a =13,9m/s : 3m/s² = 4,6s

Now i add this

t1 + t2 +t3 = 2,8s + 30s + 4,6s = 37,4s

My result is 37,4s. Is this right or iam totaly wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Likes Irukandji
Thanks this makes me happy.

1. How does the speed of an accelerating car affect the travel time?

The speed of an accelerating car directly affects the travel time. As the car accelerates, its speed increases, and therefore it takes less time to reach a certain distance compared to when it was moving at a slower speed.

2. What is the formula for calculating travel time for an accelerating car?

The formula for calculating travel time for an accelerating car is: time = (final velocity - initial velocity) / acceleration. This formula is derived from the equation of motion, v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. Does the distance traveled by an accelerating car affect the travel time?

Yes, the distance traveled by an accelerating car does affect the travel time. The longer the distance, the longer it will take for the car to reach its final velocity. However, the speed of the car also plays a significant role in determining the travel time.

4. How does the acceleration of a car affect the travel time?

The acceleration of a car has a direct effect on the travel time. The higher the acceleration, the faster the car will reach its final velocity, resulting in a shorter travel time. On the other hand, a lower acceleration will result in a longer travel time.

5. Can the travel time for an accelerating car be calculated without knowing the acceleration?

No, the travel time for an accelerating car cannot be calculated without knowing the acceleration. The acceleration is a crucial factor in determining the travel time, and without it, the formula for calculating travel time cannot be used.