Simple Geometry or Trig Question

In summary, The person is trying to find the height of a triangle with a right angle at (0,0) and a 45-degree angle at the far right point. They have the adjacent length of 50 and are unsure of which method to use to solve for the height. Another person suggests using trigonometry and explains that since the triangle has a 45-degree angle and a right angle, the adjacent and opposite sides will be equal. Therefore, the height of the triangle is also 50. The first person feels silly for not realizing this and mentions possibly retaking a math class. They also correct the terminology, stating that it is a "right triangle" and "right angle," not "right handed."
chanson
Hey guys, i am starting to program 3D worlds and got stuck on math... lol go figure.

This should be simple and I am completely embarassed to post this. But I am trying to find the height of my triange on one side. Here is the info i have, too bad I can't draw.

It's a right handed triangle, where the right hand angle is on point (0,0). Leaving the far right angle being 45deg. With that being said the Adjacent to length is 50. I neet figure out how tall the triangle is. I hope you can imagine this in your head.

What method to I apply to solve this? Thank you! :) The only method I can remember from high school is a2 + b2 = c2... pathagreon?!

I think to solve the problem i need to use sin or cos in some fashion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it has a 45 degree angle and a right angle then both the adjacent side and the opposite side will be equal so the opposite length (height) will be 50 as well. You could still do it mathematically though...

[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{\text{opp}}{\text{adj}} \Rightarrow \tan45=1=\frac{\text{opp}}{50}[/tex]

So you can see that the opposite side is 50 as well.

Wow now I feel even more silly!

The math didn't quite compute w/ me. I think I am going to have to go take a class again :-S

By the way- it is simply "right triangle" and "right angle", not "right handed".

What is the difference between geometry and trigonometry?

Geometry is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, positions, and dimensions of objects. Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a fundamental concept in both geometry and trigonometry. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle in relation to its angles.

How are geometry and trigonometry used in real life?

Geometry and trigonometry have many practical applications in daily life. For example, they are used in architecture and construction to design buildings, in navigation to determine distances and angles, and in engineering to calculate forces and dimensions of structures.

What is the unit circle in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to define the values of the trigonometric functions at different angles, and it is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of these functions.