3d trig problem (i think)

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Trig
In summary, the conversation is about designing a surround using a sheet of aluminum and finding dimensions in 2d using geometry and math. The person is seeking help in determining the unknown distance B and angles phi and tau to create the desired shape in 2d. They have provided images and information about known distances and angles to aid in understanding the problem.
skaboy607
Hi

Not sure if this is simple or not but I can't figure out how to do it! I am designing a surround that will be constructed by folding a sheet of aluminum. I've got the geometry right in 3d but I want to transpose this to a template. Yes I can measure but I want to solve using maths for two reasons, one because I'm curious and can't do it and two, it will be more accurate.

One side is a mirror of the other, have just labelled for clarity. Distances A and C are the same when constructed (59). A I think will remain 59 but C I am not sure about? Distance B is unknown and what I would like to find, then I can just join a line between the two to obtain length C.

For the bottom triangles, distance D is known.

Let me know if other distances are needed and I will figure whether I know them or not?

Thanks

Will

Template-1.jpg

3d.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can no one help on this? Am I missing some information?

Your pictures are too unclear.

Thanks for the response. Stuff always clear in your own head! Now that I know they are not understandable, I try to make them clearer. I have attached some images that will hopefully make it clear. From a perspective viewpoint, this is what I want to end up with.

Surround_exhaust.png

From the Side

Surround_exhaust_side.png

And from the top

Surround_exhaust_top-1.png

The angle (theta) in the side image has been calculated and is known. 7.6 deg.

I am making it out of a sheet of aluminum so I need to know dimensions in 2d so that they give me the desired shape in 2d. The 2d shape will be folded to give the 3d one.

In 2d, I don't know the angles phi and tau from this image.

Surround_exhaust_template.png

Hi Will,

It sounds like you are trying to solve a 3D trigonometry problem. This type of problem involves using trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for unknown sides or angles in a 3D shape.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the properties of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. You can start by labeling all the sides and angles in your diagram, and then using the appropriate trigonometric functions to set up equations.

One approach could be to focus on the right triangle formed by sides A, B, and C. You know the length of side A and you want to find the length of side B, so you can use the tangent function to set up an equation:

tan(A) = B/C

You can rearrange this equation to solve for B:

B = C * tan(A)

Since you know the value of C (59), you just need to find the value of angle A. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of side D, and then using the cosine function to find the value of angle A:

D^2 = A^2 + B^2

cos(A) = A/D

Once you have the value of angle A, you can plug it into the equation you set up earlier to solve for the length of side B.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. Remember to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

Related to 3d trig problem (i think)

1. What is 3D Trig and how does it differ from 2D Trig?

3D Trigonometry is the study of triangles and their properties in three-dimensional space. It differs from 2D Trigonometry, which deals with triangles in a two-dimensional plane. In 3D Trigonometry, there is an added dimension of depth, which introduces new concepts such as angles of elevation and depression.

2. How do you solve a 3D Trig problem?

To solve a 3D Trig problem, you will need to use the three primary trigonometric ratios: sine, cosine, and tangent. These ratios can be used to find missing sides or angles in a three-dimensional triangle. Additionally, you may need to use the Pythagorean theorem and other geometric principles to solve more complex problems.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3D Trig?

3D Trigonometry has many real-world applications, including architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in three-dimensional structures and objects. For example, 3D Trig is crucial in determining the height of a building or the angle of a ramp in a parking garage.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving 3D Trig problems?

Some common mistakes when solving 3D Trig problems include using the wrong trigonometric ratio, mislabeling the sides or angles of a triangle, and not converting units of measurement. It is essential to carefully read and understand the problem and to double-check your calculations to avoid these errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in 3D Trig?

To improve your understanding and skills in 3D Trig, it is essential to practice solving various types of problems. You can also use online resources, such as tutorials and practice exercises, to help solidify your understanding of the concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial in mastering 3D Trigonometry.