Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter PhysicoRaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    telescope
In summary, the telescope has a 60mm aperture and a 700mm focal length. It comes with a 3x barlow and a 20mm eyepiece. The eyepiece with the 4mm eyepiece gives 35x and 175x magnification respectively. The telescope is best used at 60X or 105x with the barlow. The Orion nebula can be seen with the telescope at 60X but it is difficult to hold the telescope steady at that magnification.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member
Hi,
After all these years of naked eye observations, I finally decided to get a telescope. So, I chose this:
Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope
http://www.flipkart.com/celestron-powerseeker-60az-telescope/p/itmdmsczsv69zc6j?pid=ACCDMSCZBV8S9FKU&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=celestron+powerseeker&ref=c9e5e3f1-9bef-43a2-8249-fce0e5179222

I've read the reviews but I can't imagine how deep sky objects would look like. This has a 60mm aperture of 700mm focal length. A 3x barlow is also provided. A 20mm eyepiece and a 4mm eyepiece give 35x and 175x magnification respectively. But I think 175x is too much for a 60mm objective to handle. Is it so? If so, should I use the barlow with the 20mm eyepiece, which would give around 105x?
Will I be able to see the rings of saturn? Cloud bands of jupiter? How would nebulae and galaxies appear in this?
Thanks for any guidance/suggestions.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I first saw rings of Saturn with an inexpensive 10X-30X zoom terrestial scope from K-mart
which got me so excited i bought an inexpensive 4" celestron reflector

and had a LOT of fun...
but i am no expert, there are experts here

above 60X it becomes difficult for me to aim and hold the 'scope steady. At 60X i can see that Jupiter is not uniform, but cannot make out stripes. As i said it's an inexpensive scope with probably a modest mirror.

plan on finding you need a pretty good mount. I recently found an equatorial mount in a thrift shop which i plan to affix to that little Celestron(which is now 38 years old).

I also have a surplus WW2 aerial reconnaissance lens, Bell and Howell probably 8 inches across with 1 meter focal length. I figure it was probably a really good lens in 1945, and this winter hope to get it in a tube with eyepiece. Has anybody experience to share with such a contraption?

old jim

Surplus WW2 recon lenses are quick sellers on ebay, which suggests they are of good optical quality. Just one thing to note. Those lenses were frequently made using thorium glass which can be radioactive. Yellowing is the usual symptom. There may not be enough radioactivity to be dangerous, but, probably worth checking.

jim hardy said:
I first saw rings of Saturn with an inexpensive 10X-30X zoom terrestial scope from K-mart

I got the telescope a few days ago.
I think I will not be able to see Saturn's rings. Saturn is low on the horizon and shaking makes it impossible for me now. I'll have to wait.
Jupiter's bands are a fizzle. May be I should try on more magnification and long time observing. The Galilean moons are visible.
But the moon is still amazing through this..at high magnification, I had to wrestle with the mounts to get it in view but fantastic after that.

PhysicoRaj said:
I think I will not be able to see Saturn's rings. Saturn is low on the horizon and shaking makes it impossible for me now. I'll have to wait.

This is half year old thread but I felt the need to do this. I waited and got to see saturn yest. night. At 35x it was an elongated disc with two horns on either side. At 105x I distinctly spotted the rings. 175x fetched me a good separation between the planet and the rings. 525x made it all blurr. Sorry I couldn't photograph it.. I've no device and I've not done it before.

On a clear cold night, new moon, power cut,.. I couldn't believe I was looking at the Orion nebula.. all I saw were two stars (the two doublets of the Trapezium):cry: Maybe 60mm is too low an aperture for this scope.

What is the magnification power of the Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope?

The Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope has a maximum magnification power of 60x, which allows you to view objects up to 60 times closer than they appear to the naked eye.

What is the aperture size of the telescope?

The Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope has an aperture size of 60mm, which refers to the diameter of the lens or mirror that gathers light for the telescope.

What types of objects can I view with this telescope?

The Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope is best suited for viewing bright, large objects such as the moon, planets, and some deep-sky objects like star clusters and nebulae. It may also be used for terrestrial viewing.

Is the Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope portable?

Yes, the telescope is lightweight and compact, making it easy to transport and set up for on-the-go stargazing or nature viewing.

Can I attach a camera to this telescope?

Yes, the Celestron Powerseeker 60AZ Telescope has a built-in T-adapter and T-ring that allows you to attach a DSLR or point-and-shoot camera for astrophotography.