What is the completion of an incomplete metric space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the completion of an incomplete metric space X, denoted as X'. The goal is to show the existence of a Cauchy sequence in X that does not converge in X but does converge in X'. It is also desired to show that X contains every element of the sequence except the limit point. The definition of complete metric spaces and Cauchy sequences is also mentioned in the conversation. The attempt at a solution involves negating the definition of a complete metric space to find a Cauchy sequence that does not converge in X, and using the isometric embedding of X in X' to show that the sequence converges in X'. However, it is uncertain whether X' \ X will only contain the limit
jdstokes

Homework Statement

Let X be an incomplete metric space. and Let X' denote its completion. I would like to show that there is Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge in X but does converge in X'. Moreover, I want to show that X contains every element of the sequence except the limit point.

Homework Equations

No equations as such other than the

Definition: A complete metric space is one in which every Cauchy sequence converges.

Definition: A Cauchy sequence { x_n } is one for which given any epsilon > 0 there exists a natural N such that if m,n > N then d(x_n,x_m) < epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, negating the definition of a metric space we should be able to find a cauchy sequence which does not converge in X.

My next line of argument would be to say that since X is isometrically embedded in X'. Then { x_n } is also a Cauchy sequence in X' and thus converges in X'.

However, I'm not sure if it is always the case that X' \ X will always only contain the limit point. Can it not contain other points in the sequence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jdstokes said:

Homework Statement

Let X be an incomplete metric space. and Let X' denote its completion. I would like to show that there is Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge in X but does converge in X'. Moreover, I want to show that X contains every element of the sequence except the limit point.

Homework Equations

No equations as such other than the

Definition: A complete metric space is one in which every Cauchy sequence converges.

Definition: A Cauchy sequence { x_n } is one for which given any epsilon > 0 there exists a natural N such that if m,n > N then d(x_n,x_m) < epsilon.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, negating the definition of a metric space we should be able to find a cauchy sequence which does not converge in X.
I assume that was a typo and you mean "negating the definition of complete". Yes, since you are given that X is NOT complete, there must exist a Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge.

My next line of argument would be to say that since X is isometrically embedded in X'. Then { x_n } is also a Cauchy sequence in X' and thus converges in X'.

However, I'm not sure if it is always the case that X' \ X will always only contain the limit point. Can it not contain other points in the sequence?
Technically, there exist an isometric ((distance preserving), one-to-one function , f(xn)= x'n is in X'. Can you determine whether x'n is a Cauchy sequence in X'? If so, then since you know that X' is complete, the sequence {x'n} must converg to some point x'. Does there exist x in X such that f(x)= x'? If so what would be its relation to the sequence {xn}?

HallsofIvy said:
I assume that was a typo and you mean "negating the definition of complete". Yes, since you are given that X is NOT complete, there must exist a Cauchy sequence in X which does not converge.

Technically, there exist an isometric ((distance preserving), one-to-one function , f(xn)= x'n is in X'. Can you determine whether x'n is a Cauchy sequence in X'?

Yes, we just choose the same natural number N since d(x_n,x_m) = d'(x_n',x_m').

HallsofIvy said:
If so, then since you know that X' is complete, the sequence {x'n} must converg to some point x'. Does there exist x in X such that f(x)= x'? If so what would be its relation to the sequence {xn}?

If there existed x in X such that f(x) = x'. Then d'(x', x_m') = d(x, x_m). But lim d(x,x_m) = lim d'(x',x_m') = 0 which would imply that { x_n } converges in X (contradiction).

I'm still struggling to show that f(X) contains every element of the sequence except the limit point. Is this actually true?

What, exactly, is the definition of "completion" of a metric space?

1. What is the definition of metric space completion?

Metric space completion is the process of constructing a complete metric space from a given metric space by adding all the missing points that are limit points of the original space.

2. Why is metric space completion important?

Metric space completion is important because it allows us to work with incomplete spaces and still have all the necessary properties of a complete space. It also allows us to extend functions defined on the original space to the completed space.

3. How is metric space completion different from topological space completion?

Metric space completion deals specifically with metric spaces, where the distance between points is defined. Topological space completion, on the other hand, deals with general topological spaces, where the notion of distance is not required.

4. Can any metric space be completed?

Yes, any metric space can be completed. However, the completion may not always be unique, as there can be different ways of adding the missing points to make the space complete.

5. What are some applications of metric space completion?

Metric space completion has many applications in mathematics and other fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. It is used in the study of metric and topological spaces, functional analysis, and the formulation of physical theories. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning for clustering and classification algorithms.