Gravitation force caused by uniform rod

The integral is a standard integral, which can be found in a table of integrals (or done by hand with a trig substitution or a u-substitution).
joex444

Homework Statement

What is the gravitational force caused by a thin uniform rod of length L on a point mass located perpendicular to the rod at it's center? Assume the point mass is a distance R perpendicular to the rod.

Homework Equations

[tex]g = - \frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{r} = - G\rho \int \frac{dV}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]g = -G\rho \int \frac{Rdx}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}^3} [/tex]
[tex]x = Rtan(\phi) [/tex]
[tex]g = -\frac{G\rho}{R} * ( \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}} ) [/tex]
Using limits of integration from -L/2 to +L/2 to yield:
[tex]g=-\frac{2G\rho}{R}*(L/\sqrt{L^2+4d^2})[/tex] after removing a factor of 4 from the (L/2)^2 from the square root.

Since the y components cancel, I took theta to be the angle nearest the point mass, and called rhat cos(theta) which I evaluated to R/sqrt(x^2+R^2) which could combine with the r^2 in the denominator from the gravity equation.

If this is wrong, I'll be glad to provide more steps to see where I went wrong. I ended up with a 1/(x^2+R^2)^(3/2) in the integral, so I did a trig substition to integrate it, and came up with the formula wikipedia has in its irrational integrals table, so I'm pretty sure that's alright, but wasn't sure if I set it up right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me. This is how I did it (I get the same integrand form)

[tex]d\vec{f} = \frac{Gdm}{R^2+x^2}\left(-\cos\theta \hat{i} + \sin\theta \hat{j}\right)[/tex]

where

[tex]\cos\theta = \frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\sin\theta = \frac{x}{\sqrt{R^2+x^2}}[/tex]

The integrand over [itex]\hat{i}[/itex] is an odd, so it integrates to zero ([itex]x[/itex] ranges from [itex]-L/2[/itex] to [itex]L/2[/itex]). You get

[tex]\vec{f} = -\hat{j}G\lambda R\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}\frac{1}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}}dx[/tex]

Last edited:

FAQ: Gravitation force caused by uniform rod

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force caused by a uniform rod?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force caused by a uniform rod is F = (G * m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects involved, and r is the distance between the objects.

2. How does the mass of the rod affect the gravitational force it exerts?

The mass of the rod directly affects the gravitational force it exerts. The greater the mass of the rod, the greater the gravitational force it will exert on other objects.

3. What is the relationship between the distance and the gravitational force exerted by a uniform rod?

The relationship between distance and gravitational force is an inverse square relationship. This means that as the distance between the rod and other objects increases, the gravitational force decreases by the square of the distance.

4. Can the gravitational force exerted by a uniform rod be repulsive?

No, the gravitational force exerted by a uniform rod is always attractive. This is because the force is caused by the mass of the rod pulling on other objects, rather than pushing them away.

5. How does the distribution of mass along the rod affect the gravitational force it exerts?

The distribution of mass along the rod does not affect the gravitational force it exerts. As long as the mass is evenly distributed, the gravitational force will be the same regardless of where the mass is located on the rod.

Back