Stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the stress-energy tensor components are given by $$T^{00} = \rho + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^2 r^2)$$$$T^{01} = -\rho \Omega x^2 + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)$$$$T^{02} = \rho \Omega x^1 + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)$$$$T^{03} = 0 + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)$$and the components ##T^{ij}## are of order ##\mathcal{O}(\rho \Omega^2
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
From Bernard Schutz's A first course in general relativity, exercise 19, in chapter 8.6:
Suppose a spherical body of uniform density ##\rho## and radius ##R## rotates ridigly about the ##x^3## axis with constant angular velocity ##\Omega##. Write down the components ##T^{0\nu}## in a Lorentz frame at rest with respect to the center of mass of the body, assuming ##\rho##, ##\Omega##, and ##R## are independent of time. For each component, work to the lowest nonvanishing order in ##\Omega R##.
Relevant Equations
For dust, ##T= \rho U \otimes U ##.

For a perfect fluid, ##T=(\rho + p) U \otimes U+p g^{-1}##
The answer with no details is given by
##T^{00}=\rho, T^{01}=-\rho \Omega x^2, T^{02}=\rho \Omega x^1, T^{03}=0.## The components ##T^{ij}## are not fully determined by the given information, but they must be of order ##\rho v^i v^j##, i.e. of order ##\rho \Omega^2 R^2##.

First, I considered a spherical shell because I thought the velocities at different radius ##r## will be different and hence the four-momentum will be different, as well.

Then, I writed down the linear momenta by $$\epsilon^{ijk} r_i p_j = L_k$$ with ##\vec r = R \cos \Omega t \hat x +R \sin \Omega t \hat y##, ##\vec L = L_3 \hat z=\frac {4 \pi R^3 \rho \Omega ^2 d R} 3 \hat z##. So $$P_x=\frac {4 \pi R^3 \rho \Omega ^2 d R \cos \Omega t} {3} \rm{~and}$$ $$P_y=- \frac {4 \pi R^3 \rho \Omega ^2 d R \sin \Omega t} {3}.$$

So the velocity is $$V_x=\frac R 3 \Omega^2 \cos \Omega t, V_y=- \frac R 3 \Omega^2 \sin \Omega t,$$ and the four-velocity will be given by ##U=(\gamma, \gamma v_x, \gamma v_y, 0)## with ##\gamma=1/\sqrt {1-v_x^2-v_y^2}##.

I am not sure what to do next. I tried to use the equations for dust that ##T^{00}=\rho U^0 U^0##, that would yield ##\rho \gamma ^2##. From the given answer, I see that I should really work in the MCRF with ##\gamma=1##. But in such a frame, ##U^i=0##. Then I would not derive the correct form of ##T^{0i}## in the answer.

Looking for some hints. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the body undergoes rigid rotation about ##Ox^3##, you may write ##\mathbf{v} = \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}## where ##\boldsymbol{\omega} = \Omega \mathbf{e}_3##. In suffix notation, ##v_i = \epsilon_{ijk} (\Omega\mathbf{e}_3)_j x_k = \Omega \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{3j} x_k = \Omega \epsilon_{i3k} x_k##. You correctly write the stress energy tensor for dust, which is ##T^{\mu \nu} = \rho u^{\mu} u^{\nu}##. Note that ##v = |\boldsymbol{\omega} \times \mathbf{r}| = \Omega r \sin{\theta}##. Considering the components in the local Lorentz frame, where ##u = \gamma(1, \mathbf{v})##, then\begin{align*}
T^{00} = \rho \gamma^2 = \frac{\rho}{1-v^2} = \rho \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} v^{2k} &= \rho \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\Omega r \sin{\theta})^{2k} \\

&= \rho + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^2 r^2)
\end{align*}\begin{align*}
T^{i0} = \rho \gamma^2 v^i = \frac{\rho \Omega \epsilon_{i3k} x_k}{1-v^2} &= \rho \Omega \epsilon_{i3k} x_k \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\Omega r \sin{\theta})^{2k} \\

&=\rho \Omega \epsilon_{i3k} x_k + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)
\end{align*}You can evaluate each of the ##T^{i0}##,\begin{align*}
T^{10} &= \rho \Omega \epsilon_{13k} x_k + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3) = -\rho \Omega x_2 + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)\\
T^{20} &= \rho \Omega \epsilon_{23k} x_k + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3) = \rho \Omega x_1 + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3) \\
T^{30} &= \rho \Omega \epsilon_{33k} x_k + \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3) = 0+ \mathcal{O}(\Omega^3 r^3)
\end{align*}

Likes Haorong Wu

What is the stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere?

The stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum within a rotating sphere. It includes components for the energy density, momentum density, and stress at each point within the sphere.

How is the stress-energy tensor calculated for a rotating sphere?

The stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it. It also takes into account the rotation of the sphere, which introduces additional terms in the equations.

What is the significance of the stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere?

The stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere is significant because it allows us to understand the effects of rotation on the distribution of energy and momentum within a sphere. This is important in fields such as general relativity and astrophysics, where rotating objects like planets and stars play a crucial role.

How does the stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere differ from that of a non-rotating sphere?

The stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere differs from that of a non-rotating sphere in that it includes additional terms to account for the rotation. These terms represent the angular momentum and shear stresses within the sphere, which are not present in a non-rotating sphere.

Can the stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere be used to make predictions or calculations?

Yes, the stress-energy tensor for a rotating sphere can be used to make predictions and calculations in fields such as general relativity and astrophysics. It allows us to understand the effects of rotation on the behavior of matter and energy within a sphere, and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of rotating objects in the universe.